HB: Handlebars Speedo Ring Gear H23

Martyn Goodwin

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Am working on front wheel bearing replacement and have hit a snag. Before I try ‘brute force’ are there ANY tips on removal then refit of the speedo gear ring H23?

It needs to come off before the brake drum can come off and the brake drum needs to come off before I heat the hub to release then refit the bearing outer.

On my bike the H23 has been punch locked into place at 4 points and as the wheel bearings are Jaeger metric I suspect this area of the wheels has not been touched since the bike left Stevenage.

Thanks

Martyn

greg brillus

VOC Member
Martyn, I try and relieve the punchlock indents as much as you can with a dremel, or even an old screwdriver with the blade ground to suit the radius shape as best you can, and gently massage the alloy back with soft hammer blows. I use a large 2 leg puller with something in the center of the bearing race to locate on. Some use heat to expand the steel ring gear, but the alloy would expand quicker, perhaps this might work to refit the gear afterward. I generally press them on cold. Cheers........Greg.

Bazlerker

Non-VOC Member
The bearing cup will drop right out if you apply a thin bead of weld to it, then let it cool.

Bazlerker

Non-VOC Member
Yes, in a round about way...removal of the bearing provides for a small shouldered area for a small piece of flat bar cut to the i.d of the hub for the threaded screw part of the puller to sit on.

Chris.R

VOC Member
I pulled mine off with a 3 leg puller and a washer as a bearing for the puller threaded rod. I managed after stripping the wheels down to get the bearing cup out of the rear wheel by heating with a blow lamp. I cannot believe this is the regular way especially if all the gubbins, spoke sprocket and hub are still attached and with tyres on the rims advice please, I am advised to get the cup nickel plated and then to put in freezer overnight and to heat the hub and the cup should drop in, the nickel coat should stop it turning in the hub. The offending bearing cup is on the chain side of my Comet. better ideas are welcome.

vibrac

VOC Member
Judging by the nickel plating I put on my Scott I would say the correct grade of locktite is a better bet

A_HRD

VOC Member
Chris,
If your bearing has been turning in the rear hub on the chain side, you may wish to consider that this is usually caused, over time, by a chain that is too tight....
Peter B