ET: Engine (Twin) Simple Rev counter, is there one ?

vibrac

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Follow davids suggestion on post #11
They have just released a new model that is one fits all
used them for decades on my racers more than suitable for a road bike in ocasionl use

kerry

VOC Member
Thanks but it says
"The Scitsu classic Racing Tachometer.

Available in dial scaling from 8,000 - 20,000 rpm ". ? am I reading this wrong, probably me I guess ?

Another that may be OK is below, at least plenty to choose from

Trail Tech TTO Tach Hour Meter Black Digital Gauge Motorcycle Tachometer Engine

greg brillus

VOC Member
I've had a Smiths tacho on my bike for years, don't ever look at it anymore........just a nice looking match for the speedo on the other side.

bmetcalf

VOC Member
8k and 20K are maximum readings available, see red circle:

Tacho.png

oexing

VOC Member
Kerry, I am not quite clear about your search for a tacho, to be mounted permanently on the bike or just for checking in the garage ? For a permanent instument on the bike I´d prefer a "clock" with hands, not a digital display, not nice to read, even less so in sunlight. I found a type with WIFI properties, might be quite slick for setting various parameters, even odd ones. That could save me from pressing endless buttons when adjusting to different machinery.
Most of times I don´t have tachos, I wring the twist grip till the horizon turns into double view and hands twice as thick - then shift gear. But maybe for learning to know the Vincent I will put that tach on handle bar clamps for a while.
Now that Scitsu offer is real money for me as a non-essential gadget. In Aliexpress there are loads of electronics and I believe a few will be suitable for ht lead pickups by wire windings - when you maybe add some capacitor to the sensor wire ? Electronics do not like voltage spikes so I´d try some filtering first on that wire and see what the indicator does. Filtering just strong enough for the tach to operate at all. They seem to have stepper motors inside moving the hand - so a bit like Chronometrics - in steps . . .

Vic

WIFI Tach

52mm Wifi tach

52mm tach

Speedtwin

VOC Member
Used one of these on a friends twin with coil ignition still working he is deaf and wanted to visualise his changes made no difference still revs the nuts right off it.
was about 70 quid and fair quality might not work with Mag.
I have a mechanical tacho off a lightning on my D .

bmetcalf

VOC Member
The bottom one is for diesels, but is hooked to the oxygen sensor. A half-assed search tells me diesels don't have oxygen sensors, makes it suspect to me.

vibrac

VOC Member
Thanks but it says
"The Scitsu classic Racing Tachometer.

Available in dial scaling from 8,000 - 20,000 rpm ". ? am I reading this wrong, probably me I guess ?

Another that may be OK is below, at least plenty to choose from

Trail Tech TTO Tach Hour Meter Black Digital Gauge Motorcycle Tachometer Engine
It says 'available' not 'it is' you chose what you want they charge from the battery if they can last racing environment they are Ok on the road you used to have to chose which one you wanted depending on twin single 2 or 4 stroke but the new model released a month or so ago is configurable on the bike