ET: Engine (Twin) Simple Rev counter, is there one ?

kerry

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
No experience with it, but perhaps something like this?

No experience with it, but perhaps something like this?

many thanks seems I have a few choices

Gary Gittleson

VOC Member
One thing I didn't mention. Some of my early failed attempts used inductive pickup wires wrapped around the high tension coil wire. They worked for a maximum of two minutes. They would measure RPM up to maybe 1500 and then cut back to zero and bounce around from there. Shut the bike off, restart and you get the same behavior. After fussing with them for a few hours, I gave up. Of course, none of them were expensive.

I did try to stick to 0-8000 versions. That severely limited the choices. Truth be told, I'd have been happy with 4000 max for most riding.

So I'm still "riding by ear" as they say. Or do they?

erik

VOC Member
What I would like to add: It is possible to drive a mechanical rev counter with a magnet.You should not take the power from the inside part which is moved by the weights .Take it from the outside part which is driven by the pinion.This works on my Comet for more than 20000 km.With an BTH it is very simple like on my twin.It work realy reliable and looks period.I have the rev counter because I like the outlook and not because I need it so much! Regards Erik

kerry

VOC Member
Thank you everyone, I will be ordering one very soon and will report back, I mostly travel at 50-60 MPH but it would be nice to have some idea of the RPM.
Kerry.

Bill Cannon

VOC Member
I have a very cheap, wired, cycle speedo as a rev counter on my bike. Just needs a magnet fitting to a suitable rotating part and sensor placing near it. Mine is fixed behind the engine sprocket.

Program the cyclocomputer by entering 268mm for the wheel circumference, and make sure that it reads speed in miles per hour