ET: Engine (Twin) Rocker Feed Bolt washer - Comet - fibre or copper

poor1

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
I would like to know:

a) whether the washer (ET 189) under the Rocker Feed Bolt (ET100) was originally annealed copper or fibre and what has been found the vest solution in practice.
b)same question as regards the two washers either side of the banjo feed

and

Whilst on the subject whether the modified Rocker Feed Bolt (ET100/1) from VOC is worth fitting.

Because of the fragility of the the original design of the Rocker Feed Bolt weakened by the internal drilling and the torque exerted in being repeatedly tightened and un-tightended over the years whether it is considered good practice to regard them as 'one use' and replaced.

Many thanks

vibrac

VOC Member
Do you mean anyone still uses the standard ET100 ?
I certainly dont, all my bikes have ET100/1 and never had a problem so long as they are done up with the correct amount of force within the elastic limits
One does have to check carefully the rocker movement and be prepared to reduce the top of the rocker if required.
I can only go back to ten years after production stopped and I always used the little copper washers on top -(but with cap head screws when available) as regards the other washers always use new fibre washers if you are staying with them once oil hits them its game over.

Vincent Brake

VOC Member
worth more is to have both surface s rather smooth and flat. and sure no deep scratces in m
i sanded them.
than any washer is ok, but they have all a life span, as steel n alu differ in thermal expansion, so re-tork after a while

only work with et100/1, if not breaings are more or less loose

timetraveller

VOC Member
Annealed copper for the small top washer, fibre for the two others you mention BUT the original ones were made of a thick fibre and more recently there have been some which are thinner. If you have access to an old one then ensure that the new ones are the same thickness or go for some of the Australian replacements. The ET 100/1 are not a straight replacement for the original ET 100s. They require other parts and you cannot just replace an original with one of the newer ones.

poor1

Non-VOC Member
Many thanks for your contributions.
Am I correct in assuming from what you say that the thickness of the Rocker Feed bolt washer is critical because of the length of the end of the Rocker Feed Bolt protruding into the Valve Rocker Bearing (ET26/1)??

timetraveller

VOC Member
It is a bit more complicated then at first appears. If the top washer was too thin then with the original set up the ET 100 would go a few thou too deep into the rocker bearing but probably not touch the top of the rocker. If the top of the banjo has been pulled downwards so that the top is dished then the inside of the top will hit the top of the rocker feed bolts and that means that one cannot put enough pressure on the washer below the banjo. If you go for the ET 100/1s then they are intended to interface to another small part which fits inside the top of the rocker bearing and pulls it upwards. That is why the ET 100/1 is not a straight replacement for the ET 100s. A further complication is that there other designs wherein there is a small socket headed screw which goes through the opened out bottom of the ET 100 and then screws into the top of a suitably redesigned rocker bearing, once again, intended to pull the bearing upwards. Do you have Vincent knowledgeable chums nearby who can look at what you have and advise what you need to match up with the parts you have? If not a visit to a local club night might help but you will have to decide which of the many opinions you are likely to get come from those who know what they are talking about and which from those who don't.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Modified rocker feed, The only way to go, As Vincent Brake says.
We fitted a set of oil feed pipes a short while ago, The top bit was much thicker than the standard pipes, So the bolt was going tight before the big washer was in contact !!, The way round it was to drill up from the inside to make the top thinner, Don't do the bolt up too tight, It does not need it.
I don't like the top bolt, The head is very small, I like the idea of fitting a Monobloc Carb' petrol feed bolt, Same thread but bigger head.
Cheers Bill.

Nulli Secundus

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
I don't like the top bolt, The head is very small, I like the idea of fitting a Monobloc Carb' petrol feed bolt, Same thread but bigger head.
Cheers Bill.

I have done this and drilled and lock wired the heads having had one work loose, which drenched the engine and back tyre in oil and caused me to come off.