FF: Forks removing old races

Speedtwin

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Fantastic stuff, I have a yok for driving out headrace bearings a log tube drift with four cuts in it, spring it inwards and pop it down the tube wee tap and out they come simple.
The tool for pulling or pushing new bearings or cups in is also fantastic very well made highly recommend there gear.
Order on a Monday receive on the Thursday transatlantic superb.

Cyborg

VOC Member
If you are replacing the inner race at the bottom of the stem, make sure there isn’t too much of an interference fit. I’ve seen a couple that have cracked and I’m reasonably sure that was a factor.

Alyson

VOC Member
If you are replacing the inner race at the bottom of the stem, make sure there isn’t too much of an interference fit. I’ve seen a couple that have cracked and I’m reasonably sure that was a factor.
Thank you, I've not put them in just yet but will mic them to see. .003"-.004" ish ?

Cyborg

VOC Member
I don’t know what the factory used… or rather what they intended. KTB says 0.002” for the cup in the steering head, but that’s under compression. For the inner race, being brittle, I think 0.001” or max 0,0015”. It only needs enough to keep it from turning. If you’re replacing it with new, it may be a bit of a crap shoot as far as what you get and you may be using Loctite instead.