FF: Forks removing old races

Alyson

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I've been searching now for about 45 mins and can not for the life of me find any info at all regarding procedure for knocking out the bearing races from the UFM, FF1, & FF2. Heat ? Cold ? Weld and remove ? It looks easy enough on the UFM as peering down the neck I can see the edges of the races. Stick a drift down the hole and knock out gently ? Slide hammer them out ? Just wondering.... and Thank You !

chankly bore

Non-VOC Member
Knock out gently with a brass or alloy drift, a bit at a time round and round the edges for the U.F.M. The head clip, a 1/8" pin punch through the holes provided. The steering stem a brass or alloy chisel point. "Richardson" page 14 covers this.

Alyson

VOC Member
Thank You ! Done !! I had a nice brass drift and gently nudged them out. Worked a charm !!!

greg brillus

VOC Member
Make sure that the new bottom race goes in square........seen many that are not, and this makes for some steering issues that can "Feel quite dangerous" .......They can pick up as they go in making the problem worse. Working near upside down is difficult, just take your time and check the depth against the outer rim of the housing to be sure.......All good fun........Cheers.......G.

Alyson

VOC Member
Thank You Gentlemen. I have the UFM/oil tank off to replace the drain valve and decided while I'm at it I'll replace the races. It should be easy
enough and I don't have to do it upside down as I'll do it while it's all apart. I'll flush out the tank too, again. It's a good time to be doing this as
it's just snowing now here in Penticton. I also found I was one ball bearing short. I only had 39 total. I'll pay attention to the picking up and make sure there is a slight chamfer on the race before popping them in. I was thinking of putting the races in the fridge and applying about 20 sec. worth of heat from my torch to make the install smoother. Any thoughts ??

bmetcalf

VOC Member
Can't hurt.

Years ago, I got a piece of aluminum electrical conduit of the right diameter and filed one end to a rounded edge and use it to tap races onto the headstock and headclip.

Speedtwin

VOC Member
I chamfered the races very slightly and pulled them in using a Jims tool originally designed for harleys.
Lovely job hold the races square on the way in fantastic 15 quid bargan.
Love a good tool.
Al