rear spring

redbloke1956

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Thanks Trev, I will see how close I can get it with some judicious filing and see where I go from there.
I should have gone with the Thornton "coil over shock" I think.

Kev

davidd

VOC Member
Kevin,

I think that we are all in agreement. The problem is that if you continue to grind the spring end square that the gap between the terminus of the spring wire and the next coil traveling by will become too large and make the spring somewhat unstable even with the claw. It is a judgment call, but I would be concerned about the angle.

David

nkt267

VOC Member
Do you think that the spring has a different 'thread' or 'pitch' to the old claw you have? Trev thinks the helix is wrong so maybe the parts are incompatible..this seems to be happening with a few new parts that will not mate with 'original' parts..John

redbloke1956

Non-VOC Member
I will go and compare the pitch John, I have had the Comet for 4 years now and have only managed to cover about 800 miles, it just seems to be one problem after another, then there is the time spent waiting for parts delivery to Australia....

redbloke1956

Non-VOC Member
Christ John, don't send over any more Poms, we have plenty here already.
Having said that, I would rather them than the ones that are currently causing you, Germany and France (to name a few) so much trouble.

Kev

Albervin

VOC Member
Kevin, send the spring back. You will be wasting your time trying to fix it and then won't be able to obtain a refund. Have you tried Overlander here in Oz?

Albervin

VOC Member
Neal often supplies parts from VOCS, plus others. All of his "special" parts are by him. Check supplier/manufacturer before buying.