Oil passage from the pump to the filter chamber

Big Sid

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
About oil seeping across within the pump itself , this separate from a loose fitting pump housing passing oil . There is one position of the inner pump shuttle itself where should the motor stop revolving at this particular spot , and the internal clearance is on the loose side , then oil will make it's way across and result in wet sumping if parked for a while . Thus it will not regularly sump EXCEPT at that spot . Not at other times . We have matched up different inner pieces with other outer housings that were a closer inner fit and sumping quit .
Like the between the left side main bearings alloy disc being when built a slight drag fit on the reverse scroll and needing to breakin it's my contention that the original oil pumps were also snug fitting internally and needed to bed in a bit as the breakin mileage was run up . Sid .

nkt267

VOC Member
Interesting point about pump sleeves-- I have a factory sheet(most likely a repro in the 60's) that suggests you can remove the sleeve from a complete engine whilst in the bike without heating the crankcase. If this is correct then what sort of fit was intended.
I have found that on the Comets I have rebuilt the cases need to pretty hot to install or remove the sleeve, although a Rapide engine that I needed to remove the pump sleeve from needed very little heat.. John

clevtrev

VOC Member
Interesting point about pump sleeves-- I have a factory sheet(most likely a repro in the 60's) that suggests you can remove the sleeve from a complete engine whilst in the bike without heating the crankcase. If this is correct then what sort of fit was intended.
I have found that on the Comets I have rebuilt the cases need to pretty hot to install or remove the sleeve, although a Rapide engine that I needed to remove the pump sleeve from needed very little heat.. John
Quite right, the sleeve should be a slide fit, cold. Otherwise how do you maintain the fit `twix plunger and sleeve. If the sleeve is fitted with heated cases, the cooling will contract the sleeve, and your fit is lost. Not only that, when cold the sleeve can easily be rotated to align the locating pin. Try doing that when the sleeve has been compressed, even by 1/2 a thou.
As for having to warm to remove, that`s understandable, because in use the heat cycles will allow the clearances to alter, and crud also gets in the way.

Last edited:

nkt267

VOC Member
Thanks for the info Trev.It would appear that the Comets I have done must have distorted cases or the oil pump sleeves were oversize, and I must have got lucky with the alignment as the pump locating screw went in first time on all of them..John

Big Sid

Non-VOC Member
Never said that the outer housing was a tight fit in the case , only that the inner piece was probably a bit snug inside it and it freed up during breakin miles , part of the bedding in process . Just my thoughts on the subject to reduce wet sumping it had to be a close fit internally . Sid .

clevtrev

VOC Member
Thanks for the info Trev.It would appear that the Comets I have done must have distorted cases or the oil pump sleeves were oversize, and I must have got lucky with the alignment as the pump locating screw went in first time on all of them..John
Sometimes the cutaway in the sleeve gets hit by inserting the crank, doesn`t need much to stop the sleeve from coming out easily.

riptragle1953

Non-VOC Member
I seem to remember from back in the dark ages in MPH.... ('70's maybe) some chap using a different pump altogether..... does anyone remember what this was all about?

A-BCD

Non-VOC Member
One of our French members cleverly fitted a Honda oil pump inside the timing chest, but I think to supply additional oil to the camshafts and followers, so the standard pump was still in use as well.