New AVO coil-over for B and C series, plus damper update.

Michael Vane-Hunt

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
BEWARE anyone purchasing the AVO products if you live outside the UK. AVO will only ship, internationally, with DPD and Aramax.
This shipping is expensive, 65 Pounds Sterling to Canada for a coil over shock and a spare spring. On top of that another 178, dollars Canadian
(about 100 pounds) for customs duties, taxes and handling fees has to be paid up front before shipment is completed.
This makes the AVO product products for overseas purchasers very expensive. Make sure you ask AVO to put REPLACEMENT PARTS FOR VINTAGE MOTORCYCLE OVER 25 YEARS OLD
or use a friend in the UK to ship for you.
You may be able to escape the duties at least. Too late for me. Mike.

Epsilon

New Forum User
Non-VOC Member
A note about “short” and “long” versions of AVO rear dampers and coil-overs.

When I developed the first AVO rear damper in 2012, my primary objective was the shortest possible closed length, but combined with a long stroke. This is why the rear mounting is offset.
The purpose of this short closed length was twofold.
The first was to make the best possible use of the short standard springs. When the shortness of the standard spring results in much less than 1” of bump travel, even a ¼” gain is valuable.
The second was a low saddle height.
However, I recognised that if this short damper was fitted to a bike that had been converted to a fully sprung seat, it became quite likely the mudguard would hit the seat at full bump on many bikes. As there is so much variation between bikes, the only way to be sure is fit the damper only, lift the wheel and see what happens.
So we produced a second “long” version of the rear damper that had a similar closed length to the original Vincent damper and would be a “safe” choice for everyone.

Four years on the situation is a little different. The benefit of the extra short damper is diminished by using different springs. The remaining benefit of a 3/8” lower seat is unimportant to many riders, or at least does not justify modifying the seat/mudguard clearance. Lastly, the different combinations of specifications required AVO to frequently make-to-order, which is inefficient because of set-up times.

For these reasons, the “short” rear dampers will be discontinued when existing stocks are exhausted.
HOWEVER, as a favour to me, AVO have produced just one batch of “short” coil-over units.
They will not be advertised, but if like me you have weak and wobbly legs and appreciate even a slightly lower seat, you can order a short version of the coil-over or a short version of the new “ready to-fit” rear damper, while stocks last. Same prices!

There are two caveats:
1) You will have to decide for yourself if a short unit will fit your bike without seat/mudguard clearance problems. See info below. To the best of my knowledge, there will not be any problems with the original semi sprung seat set up. But if you have (or may) convert to a fully sprung seat, problems are fairly likely. I lowered my mudguard, but you may not want to go to this much trouble.

2) The “long” version of the coil over has a very convenient facility that it is just possible to change the spring without a spring compressor. With the “short” coil-over, a spring compressor is definitely required.

Info you may find useful:
Standard Vincent damper closed length 7.188”
“Long” AVO coil-over or damper closed length 7.195”
“Short” AVO coil-over or damper closed length 6.96”

These AVO closed lengths are calculated by estimating that in the worse case the suspension will come to a halt when the 20mm rubber bump stop is compressed to a length of 8mm by a force of over 1200lbs. (This is in addition to the spring force of around 800 -1200lbs, so it would need to be a BIG bump with a heavily laden bike.) Bump stop calibration curve available on request!
The minimum length of the Vincent damper is much easier to define, as the hydraulic stop is very short and stiff compared to a rubber bump stop, which provides a much nicer progressive rising rate.

Epsilon

New Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Dear Sir, I am desperately looking for an Avo coil over rear shock. Sadly they have gone bust. Any ideas who might have one. I should be most grateful.

timetraveller

VOC Member
I am in negotiations with an alternative damper supplier but no progress had been made over the Xmas break. I had a talk to them four days ago and asked them to concentrate on the front ones. They had been going down the path of trying to make one suitable for the front and rear as Vincents did seventy years ago. I do not imagine that there will be too much trouble finding a rear and at the moment I am trying to steer them down the path of two off the shelf coil over rears, one each side, as the original spring boxes. Vibrac wants to stick with one central one to keep weight down so there might be two options. They will go at their own speed and all I can do is try to provide criteria to which they should work.

Last edited:

vibrac

VOC Member
Thanks Norman If you fail with the single rear pass me the details and I will try with Ben BUT please that's only if you fail

timetraveller

VOC Member
I spoke to the manufacturers yesterday. At the moment I am getting them to concentrate on the front one first. They have finished the CAD work and ten prototypes will be machined by their engineers in a couple of weeks, or more, time. The lower body will be machined from solid aluminium and there will be a black anodised shroud over the upper part. Therefore, they will be similar in appearance to the original Vincent dampers. Adjustment will be via a knob as that is what they normally provide. I have asked them to let me have graphs showing the resistance of their dampers compared with the AVO dampers and have lent them a front AVO damper to be used for test purposes. Some of you will be aware that we found out that when the original AVOs were used in conjunction with a lower link with ball races at the rear, as opposed to Oilite bushes, by a heavy rider on a twin the dampers could not be adjusted to give enough damping for the extra mass. We had to get extra stiff dampers made by AVO. The new people use a different damping mechanism and are of the opinion that their system will give enough range to cover all users. If that is so then that will be a bonus.
At the moment I am working on the assumption that one of their standard coil over dampers will be suitable for the rear if two are used. One each side as the original Vincent spring boxes. They normally use a spherical shaped bearing, top and bottom of their coil overs, and so I have offered to provide a design for a special nut that will fit onto the original studs and fully support the spherical bearings. It might be necessary to provide a shroud of some sort to cover the upper part of the springs to prevent anything being caught in the springs while riding.
There are those, Vibrac being one of them, who would prefer to keep the weight down by using a single, centrally mounted coil over. We think that this might be possible but might need to design a new upper pivot/support eye.
As an aside they have also been approached by a tuning company based at Castle Coombe race course who have asked if they can make dampers for Vincents. If the person who had made this approach reads this then it would be helpful if we could work together to ensure that between us we come up with the best solution that we can. I am not pompous enough to guarantee to find the best solution to this design that is possible on my own.

greg brillus

VOC Member
Norman, It may or may not be possible, but I have found in most cases a light damper setting is far more common than heavy........a heavy damper on a Comet will destroy any kind of "Soft" front end on these lighter bikes by 100% I have had folks with the modified front end, with soft springs, and an AVO shock up front, and the action was very stiff.......not ideal.......any other shocker felt better right away........Not all riders are heavy.......as I've said before.......look at the damping on the Brampton's......it is minimal in reality.......Perhaps 2 different spec shocks will be needed to cover both conditions.......The 10 Ikon shocks I had made a couple of years ago sold quickly and I've not had any more made.......these were "Valved" to be similar in action to the front version of the Thornton shocks from years ago, perhaps a bit difficult as the type of shock internals were quite different........I think it is very easy to forget how much unsprung weight these bikes all have.......pick up both complete wheels some time and you'll see what I mean.......for racing this is a far bigger issue........Cheers.

timetraveller

VOC Member
Here is a rendered image of what is proposed
1707475193748.png