New AVO coil-over for B and C series, plus damper update.

greg brillus

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Can someone please give me the diameter of the spring on the coilover AVO unit. I just want to see if what I did before can be done on one of these. Thanks in advance............Greg.

Albervin

VOC Member
I thought I would share the bottom fittings of my alphabet twin Brampton damper its one I bought from the USA (I think at the first St Helens NA rally) no longer available but made in California it picks up on the main coil spring anchor point.
I was going to get Bens suspension gurus make some but it proved too costly
View attachment 14539 View attachment 14540 View attachment 14541
I like those bottom adapters. Just out of interest what "weight" Spring do use?

hadronuk

VOC Member
Greg, The 350 lb/inch spring has an OD of 2.72" & ID 1.91". Length 8". The 275lb/inch uses thinner wire, so slightly smaller OD, but same nominal 1.9" ID & 8" length. They also can order 7" length springs, but they do not allow quite enough travel. Rob

Albervin

VOC Member
You can take my Rapide for a spin.............Might change your mind..........:).
In what way Greg? Are you trying to lure me to the dark side? If and when I bring my Shadow to Australia I may ask you to set up the front end or I may fit a set of Bramptons

greg brillus

VOC Member
Hi there Rob thanks for the info, just trying to come up with a few idea's. Alyn, I am carrying out some substantial suspension upgrades based on the work I did on the race bike, though not as comprehensive and more stock looking, but will be most effective. This is to upgrade the handling characteristics of the Girdraulics, and the rear end as well. I am looking forward to it. Oh and a tad cheaper than changing to Brampton's.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Hello Greg, I think mine is the 275 lb Spring and I make it 2.65 ".
The total length of the unit, Eye to Eye is nearly the same as an old Koni, So I thought , Would it go on the front !!.
But the bottom of the unit, I think would be too fat ?.
I don't think at my time of life I want to change too much.
It is a smashing looking unit, And I think it would be a good man to not know it was a "D".
Can't wait to see if it will work for me, With the Norton forks being a bit stiff I have found with the "D" unit, If I unwound the spring too much it made the front forks move less ??, I don't know anything about all this preload stuff.
My bikes have always been a bit of a Bodge, But I like them. Cheers Bill.

timetraveller

VOC Member
I looked at a similar idea a while ago and over here Hagon shocks can provide at least three different lengths of coil over dampers. The shortest of these is about the same
length as the Petteford set up. They are intended to be replacements for typical British bikes of 40 - 50 years ago but it seemed to me at the time that this might be worth following up. Now we have the Avo system that might be a better way to go.