FF: Forks Modified Steering Stem

timetraveller

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Gentlemen, the AVOs have landed. They, together with the last remaining parts for the steering damper kit and a part for a new car alternator kit, were all ready or delivered yesterday so expect to start and hear from me over the next two weeks. I will contact you individually to ensure that I have correctly recorded what you want and then start and send out the kits. Thank you for your patience.
I will be taking two peoples parts to the Sussex Sections meeting on Sunday but the weather forecast is for about zero degrees Celsius temperature and possibly some light snow so let us see how it goes.

vibrac

VOC Member
Dear old Vincents every one is different
Just a note to say that on my 2020 Comet with the new steering head and the eye bolts just finger tight (if that )when I pull the forks down to full extension of the AVO (no spring boxes yet) I can get two sheets of writing paper to slip between the damper cover and the top link inner. so when all is tightened up there is clearance, others I belive have had to reach for the half round file :(

Simon Dinsdale

VOC Machine Registrar
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Just a note to say that on my 2020 Comet with the new steering head and the eye bolts just finger tight (if that )when I pull the forks down to full extension of the AVO (no spring boxes yet) I can get two sheets of writing paper to slip between the damper cover and the top link inner. so when all is tightened up there is clearance, others I belive have had to reach for the half round file :(
Probably an add up of tolerances of all the parts makes one bike slightly different to another. Slight variations in the length of the damper's lower eye bolts could have an effect. When the forks are at full extension look at the angle of the top link. It doesn't take much extra length in the eye bolt to allow the forks to drop slightly further.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
I find that if things are that close, In use they will touch. Cheers Bill.

BigEd

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Can you send us a photograph? I will not be fitting my modified steering stem until I have got the engine back together but it would be helpful for people to see potential problems before they start assembly to save on the number of times they have to do trial fits.

timetraveller

VOC Member
I'm a bit worried about Vibrac's findings. I found that well before full droop there was contact which would have prevented the full movement of the system. I'm not talking thous here. If you fit a spring box without any spring in it there should be three inches of movement on the box and about the same on the damper.

vibrac

VOC Member
I'm a bit worried about Vibrac's findings. I found that well before full droop there was contact which would have prevented the full movement of the system. I'm not talking thous here. If you fit a spring box without any spring in it there should be three inches of movement on the box and about the same on the damper.
I did not intend my posting to seem a complaint I was just pointing out that as said above small differences add up in my case on the 2020 Comet the right way here is Eddies requested photo on full extend with eye bolts tightened I can slip the blade in and out . I cannot see any room for extra movement. No files were harmed in the production of this top link
1522050359680.jpg