Misc: Electric Starters Mark Cooper Rapide Electric Starter

greg brillus

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Godet done away with the standard ESA all together and run a new set up with a cush drive built into the chain wheel........Still running a triplex chain with a one piece solid front sprocket.

vibrac

VOC Member
That plastic tube ESA on the Comet electric start seems OK after a year* but then a Honda clutch also has shock absorbers.
*As far as I am concerned if it only lasted a year it would be worth it, that button is magic

oexing

VOC Member
When looking at chain primary drives I believe there is no real need for any ESA or cush drive in there. Look into the link below to get an idea about chain dynamics, not a harsh transmission of power via this design possible. I think a chain is not much different to toothed belt drives in this respect. So better have no original ESA in a Vincent and no cush needed in the clutch wheel either - the Millers and Altons will be very greatful then.
There are two aspects with ESA or cush drives to be seen: Do you want to smooth out the kangaroo drive from singles or big twins by having an ESA - or do you want to protect gearbox components from "shocks" produced by the crank or rear wheel ?
For a smooth drive from low speeds you´d need a ESA with a wide range of angular motion to be noticable on the bum. BUT then the ESA has to be a correct design, free from sending shocks by its own and the Vincent type is not one of these. It kills dynamos obviously due to this flaw. So best not to have one of these at all to save wrecked dynamos.
When you want to protect gearbox components I don´t see the need for cush as chain drives do not behave very harsh due to their softness in transmitting power. Never came across stories of broken gear teeth in Vincents, these are veeery strong for 500 cc single engines - well, two 500 cc singles in close formation in the Vee 1000 cc type.
Same goes for cush drives in the rear wheel, no real need as most of them got only minimum range of "cush" in the rubber elements to be noticeable in the bum. Designers mostly get this wrong with rubber components too tight in their place to do much of damping. So you can forget this feature just as well.
Remember, I am looking at chain drives in primary and rear wheel drive. When you deal with all gear drives in primary or shaft drive to rear wheel you´d like to have an ESA somewhere in the train certainly. So you will find springs in clutch gear sets or elsewhere, but this is not the topic here.
When meditating about this matter I´d say you got some protection from shocks by having a clutch on the bike which limits maximum torque transmitted from both sides as it will slip early enough before loads get critical to gears and all. You just set clutch springs sufficiently hard for not getting clutch slip , so that is that, no more cush protection needed.
Recently I had another looong phone discussion with Wilfried about his Brough projects - and all sorts of challenges with gearboxes and clutch reproduction and restauration, in same matters . A bit too late for having some details binned as not very useful on the road in real life. But he tries to keep the Brough standard in looks at least and modifications done mainly in places out of sight. The Broughs had "cush" in the clutch gear and some in the rear hub - but effectiveness is poor I think.

Vic

roger v

VOC Member
Godets, use a standard triplex chain and D ESA. And as Greg says here, the esa is killing the chain and gear. So we ve changed that set up to to a different esa, with much much less travell. And a (CURSE)HD solenoid decompressor, now the starter big gear stayes in one piece.
Hi How different is this ESA regards Roger