Misc: Electric Starters Mark Cooper Rapide Electric Starter

greg brillus

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
With regards to the starter instalation, apart from the Grosset starter, any other set up is going to take considerable mods of some description to the crankcase to install it........I have just bought an entire starter kit like the new ones that the Godet boys are doing on their engines now, but this involves machining a hole into the rear lower corner of the primary area........It is no big deal to me because i am using a set of new cases, but i serously doubt many would want to do the same to an original set.

Gene Nehring

VOC Member
greg, only major with the way mark did his is the hole needed on the cases. He kept the piece so it could be welded back into the case should someone want to covert it back to standard. Great thing is it removes the Vincent esa and generator is now run off belt.

mark’s thinking about making some starter kits
AA4B94D5-2B04-4044-833E-12E0CB019F5F.jpeg52267893-A75D-4714-B47F-E29F8D4E09B6.jpeg945ED3AE-807D-45A0-8002-C0A8E0D9582C.jpeg87B9D7B9-A1D1-47B1-8757-8D8780EFC269.jpeg97ED2496-47C6-4992-BCD4-0B5A9B88B2E7.jpeg2912366D-2218-453C-8E4F-3F470F104D26.jpeg.FB30E7B7-35C0-4EDD-8F03-BEC2951C8726.jpeg

greg brillus

VOC Member
looks quite good........A couple of issues that are something of note........ I don't believe that the standard primary cover will simply fit, not without some kind of spacer. For me that is not desirable........the problem is the front pulley flanges are so big, that the cover wont go on easily.........I've had this discussion with the Godet boys as to why they don't run a belt primary......... i think that was their main problem, so they stuck with a chain drive..........nothing wrong with that, only then the starter runs in the oil bath to lube the chain, and this is something most automotive starters are not sealed to do. They have come up with a revised starter system that does away completely with the stock ESA, it then uses a specially made chain wheel that has a cush drive in its hub, thus overcoming the massive shock loads that are present when you hit the starter button.......... i would say the idler used above is there because the double tooth belt is probably only available in certain lengths perhaps........All starter options are worth looking at, unfortunately starting any large sized V twin is expecting a big ask from any starter system, the double shock loads on cranking is just like starting a massive single.........a real struggle........as harley's have been suffering for years. From my experience starting a larger Vincent engine with any type of big compression and big cams, it is an absolute must to have some kind of decompressor system built into the engine to assist on starting........without this any starter will really struggle and will ultimately fail........

Gene Nehring

VOC Member
This particular front sprocket has fitted inside a regular cover with no spacer. The primary case has had to be machined in order to make it work, Mark was determined to have a bike that looks like fairly standard.

The starter cranks beautifully I tried to upload a video but alas I could not get it to load. I’ll post it as a link for all to see.