Misc: Electric Starters Mark Cooper Rapide Electric Starter

roger v

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
greg, only major with the way mark did his is the hole needed on the cases. He kept the piece so it could be welded back into the case should someone want to covert it back to standard. Great thing is it removes the Vincent esa and generator is now run off belt.

mark’s thinking about making some starter kits
View attachment 54008View attachment 54007View attachment 54006View attachment 54005View attachment 54004View attachment 54003.View attachment 54009
Hi Gene Have viewed your video of the bike on its inclined ramp with the starter working . Have you fitted the bike back to floor level an got it running regards Roger

roger v

VOC Member
greg, only major with the way mark did his is the hole needed on the cases. He kept the piece so it could be welded back into the case should someone want to covert it back to standard. Great thing is it removes the Vincent esa and generator is now run off belt.

mark’s thinking about making some starter kits
View attachment 54008View attachment 54007View attachment 54006View attachment 54005View attachment 54004View attachment 54003.View attachment 54009
Mark is using a Suzuki 750 clutch which incorporates a radial cush arrangement . I got one from a breakers only to find that the springs impress themselves into the alloy drum and as such would not offer any flexibility . So to correct this design fault I m/c d the pockets 1mm deeper and then turned a tube which when split will act as a steel insert . If any member is interested I can give the details as its a chordal set up and involves a bit of maths . This Suzuki part will put to bed all the discussions about belts and their suitability to take the place of the std ESA . Roger

Chris Launders

VOC Member
I've just been having a look at Mark's starter and instead of using a double-sided belt surely the dynamo could be driven off the starter ring.

Last edited by a moderator:

roger v

VOC Member
I've just been having a look at Mark's starter and instead of using a double-sided belt surely the dynamo could be driven off the starter ring.
Me to Chris , but it looks as though the ring sits just behind the dynamo location face . Mr .Hegeler took his from there with both types of starter motor and presumably both sizes of ring gear . He then designed his own alternator / ignition drive . All very neat . We will have to see when I get a bit further on with my own effort .

Sten Jensen

Active Forum User
VOC Member
Mr Hegeler from Germany makes his own crankcases in order to fit a bigger gear behind the clutch. So he has probably moved the face in the dynamo cradle (used for his starter).
Which starter is Mark using ? The HD Sportster starters I have seen have been longer, necessitating to mount them rather low to avoid the secondary chain. This can be seen on Godets engines.

roger v

VOC Member
Mr Hegeler from Germany makes his own crankcases in order to fit a bigger gear behind the clutch. So he has probably moved the face in the dynamo cradle (used for his starter).
Which starter is Mark using ? The HD Sportster starters I have seen have been longer, necessitating to mount them rather low to avoid the secondary chain. This can be seen on Godets engines.
Hi Sten If as you say he makes his own cases , that is one hell of a lot of effort just to move the starter position from Marks five o clock to the dynamo position . There cannot be too much advantage gained from it , apart from having the ring gear being exposed outside of the case in order to mate with the starter motor low down . This in itself is no bad thing as the c of g is in the right place . From what I can gather Mark uses a starter from a Toyota car , of the type where the gear is not encapsulated under a shroud . There is probably a cost benefit as the breakers yard could provide the parts . You would have , of course , have to make your own ring gear , but this is all doable . I would prefer not to use a double sided belt for the alternator drive and as Chris has said the ring gear might provide this , although looking at Marks design and how he produced the final product , he also must have looked at this and rejected it .