FF: Forks M

timetraveller

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Hi Carl, I have sent the instructions to the email address I have for you from five years ago. If that is no longer valid then please see the next. A note to anyone else who is interested. The instructions are too large to attach to a posting here or a PM so please send an email to me at enw07@btinternet.com and I will email the instructons as attachments. They are available in either WORD format or as pdfs.

timetraveller

VOC Member
The problem Bill is that so many of them are worn. At one stage I had twenty at one time to be machined and almost all of them had had the Oilite bushes rotating in the eyes. I can't remember the exact number but about four or five were so bad that they had to be machined out, steel bushes put in and then those machined to take the 32 mm O.D. bearings. It is possible that if one had a lower link that was as new that a ball race or needle roller bearing could be found that would fit and then the stainless steel concentrics could be designed to fit those bearings. It was Greg Brillus who came up with the two ball races each side mod and I have stuck to that as I can use sealed for life bearings. However, Chris Launders fitted a single needle roller bearing each side. When the two ball races are used they are each 7 mm wide and their combined width is a good match to the original width of the eyes. When I fit them for people I use stainless steel shims either inside or outsite the double bearing to make sure that the whole link is central and a good fit on the lower motion block of the new steering heads. I then also pack in some fairly thick grease to try to prevent any water getting in and eventually causing corrosion. Remember the bearings are sealed. If one uses the needle roller bearings then they are two mm longer than the width of the eyes and some means has to be found to pack the extra mm each side with grease or some other 'sealant'.

CarlHungness

VOC Member
Hi Carl, I have sent the instructions to the email address I have for you from five years ago. If that is no longer valid then please see the next. A note to anyone else who is interested. The instructions are too large to attach to a posting here or a PM so please send an email to me at enw07@btinternet.com and I will email the instructons as attachments. They are available in either WORD format or as pdfs.
Hi: Received them and will read. Thanks so much...did you ever come across the name of the bloke who 'notched' his Walker engine holder to make room for the electric starter..as noted, I like the holder so much I'd like to use it to INSTALL the electric unit, but need to notch it before I put the machine on it of course.

timetraveller

VOC Member
I, also, would recommend fitting the starter while the bike is on its wheels. If the person for whom I modified a stand so that it would fit over an already fitted starter should see this perhaps they could let us know who they are and are they still happy as I cannot remember for whom I did this.

Spqreddie

VOC Member

Apparently one of the solutions in emergency cases is to lie down on the tank. At least this is what is suggested by this Dunlop study

Gary Gittleson

VOC Member
There's a difference between a wobble (or a weave) and a real tank slapper. I've never experienced the latter but I know the results can be catastrophic. I doubt that lying down on the tank will stop a tank slapper.

I was convinced of the need for the modified steering stem and installed TT's mod several thousands of miles ago. Not only does it give peace of mind, but improves the ride and the handling.

royrobertson

VOC Member
A real Tank Slapper is so violent lock to lock that there is no time to think or do anything. It is "in the lap of the gods" if the bike throws you off and itself down the road. I had one on my AJS single when I was young and was heading straight for a car coming the other away. As suddenly as it started it stopped and I survived. I was so Lucky!!! Many Riders are not so Lucky.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
I have had some I got away with = LUCK,
But one I didn't !!,
Vincents are different .

Watch the Video of one of the best riders ever !,
John Surtees,
In a strange way , It made me feel better, Didn't sleep much that night after watching it ,
But if it happened to him, What chance did I have.

Last edited: