FF: Forks M

bmetcalf

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
On the left hand crash bar, I would like to see a video of someone's standard fork for from the same place, I bet there's virtually no movement once on it's wheels.
Mine would move a bit. I'd put my finger under the handlebar and feel the link go up and down. I'd have to remember that the handle bar was moving, not the "bobbing" headlight. :)

Cyborg

VOC Member
During my career I was involved with investigating some wobbles. There are lots of things that can contribute to the problem. I personally experienced wobbles at speed that were rather unsettling. The ones I recall most clearly are… flat out in a straight line at 220 kph. The fix was improved swingarm bushings. The other was on a touring bike and the wobble forced me across the two oncoming lanes and within a hair’s breath of the guard rail and cliff below. There was more than one reason for that one, but it also included the swing arm area.

How rigid is the Vincent stressed member engine setup, RFM pivot , etc? If all isn’t well there, then a relatively innocent shake of the bars from the road surface could build into a crescendo that is unrecoverable. Just my opinion, but I would be keeping an eye on other things as well.
Never had a wobble on a Vincent. I did crap myself once when I was going through a sweeping right hander at speed when it popped out of gear. Instant under steer as it quickly drifted towards the guardrail.

mercurycrest

VOC Member
I would think just about any mechanic, or machinist could install it for you by following those directions. Just because it's a Vincent doesn't mean it's beyond any other normal repair.

timetraveller

VOC Member
There are only two operations which require skill rather than patience. One is to open out the rear eyes of the lower link to take the bearings. About five thou has to be removed to get the correct interference fit on the 32 mm diameter bearings. One needs someone with machining skills or a hone. Greg gets a local chap with a hone to do it. I have used two different local engineers using a milling machine. Both have now retired. The only other thing is to tap the hole which houses the anchor pin on the original friction damper. It is already 5/16" which is the correct size for tapping out to 3/8 BSF and that is the thread I provide on the new anchor bolt for the hydraulic steering dampers. This is easily done with the bike assembled. Everything else is assembly and adjustment of clearances with shims which are provided.

Patience and attention to detail are important.

CarlHungness

VOC Member
There are only two operations which require skill rather than patience. One is to open out the rear eyes of the lower link to take the bearings. About five thou has to be removed to get the correct interference fit on the 32 mm diameter bearings. One needs someone with machining skills or a hone. Greg gets a local chap with a hone to do it. I have used two different local engineers using a milling machine. Both have now retired. The only other thing is to tap the hole which houses the anchor pin on the original friction damper. It is already 5/16" which is the correct size for tapping out to 3/8 BSF and that is the thread I provide on the new anchor bolt for the hydraulic steering dampers. This is easily done with the bike assembled. Everything else is assembly and adjustment of clearances with shims which are provided.

Patience and attention to detail are important.
Am interested in obtaining the kit, can you supply price and ordering/installation instructions at your convenience please? Thanks

CarlHungness

VOC Member
TimeTraveller has very kindly sent me the installation instructions of the modified steering head and the hydraulic damper. The installation of both of these items is beyond my limited skills and there is nobody within an 9 hour drive that I could entrust the job to.
Am wondering what it takes to install the kit? How much dis-assembly required? I can get the machining done and probably handle the remainder myself, but haven't seen photos/instructions of the kit.