PT: Exhaust Lightning Pipes

davidd

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
By the way, what is the diameter of a GF pipe? Are they 2" as the Lightning?

The majority of the Grey Flash production had 2" pipes. There was a traditional looking straight pipe and one that had a kink under the gear box. I was able to make the one with the kink in three pieces. The stub was the third piece. Here is a shot of Coburn Benson with the Flash:

3407Benson_1.jpg

I had raced this bike quite a bit before I spruced it up.

AHRMA 013_edited-1.jpg

I made the tank and seat with an English wheel and shot bag. I think I bent the pipe myself on the Hossfeld bender. The Hossfeld likes thick wall pipe, but you can fill the thin wall exhaust tube with water and freeze it. The bender doesn't care, but it keeps the thin wall metal from wrinkling.

I tried the hot bending, but it did not work for me.

David

Cyborg

VOC Member
I recently bought an oxy propane setup so I could have a go at pipe bending. To get a flame like that with oxy acetylene, I would have to manifold a couple of acetylene tanks together to prevent drawing off the acetone. Definitely a learning curve... and it is a big flame capable of blowing away metal. You have to turn the fuel and O2 up to warp 10, so the flame won't burn back through the rosebud into the torch. Hopefully I'll get the hang of it before I go broke or blow myself to kingdom come.

Although unlikely, I sometimes wonder about these pipes. Cut, shortened, war torn and in need of repairs.
pipes 2%22.jpg

greg brillus

VOC Member
It is common knowledge that large bore pipes do not necessarily produce power, look at pre war bikes verses post war. Big bore pipes only useful for flat out speed, not road or track use.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
The only reason I went to 1. 5/8 ", After a very short time, Was ground clearance.
I thought I would be OK, But first bend, First race, Touch down !. Cheers Bill.

vibrac

VOC Member
We ran high level 2" pipes on the comet racer if the ban comes off then I think I would go for a smaller diameter so long as the rules permit it I would not go back to a low level pipe it was always grounding out and we tried hard to tuck away that stupid 105 decibel silencer lump so pointless at tracks like donnington with 747,s flying over to land at East Midlands airport every five mins