PT: Exhaust Lightning Pipes

Cyborg

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
In the latest MPH, there is a mention of two patterns for 2' pipes from the factory. I know these are one version, but what does the other version look like?

1954 Black Lightning Right side.jpg

davidd

VOC Member
Denis Minett 002.jpg

I think one of the big distinguishing feature of the other Lightning pipes is the flat section on the front pipe. Once you see it, it really catches your eye. It is over/under as well. Many Lightnings have this style of pipe. The photo above is Rollie Free's Lightning. That is Denis Minett fussing with it.

001.JPG

Kurt Carlson's bike has this same exhaust pipe pattern.

DSCN7657.JPG

This is Espen Oldberg's Lightining, which was sold when this photo was taken.

Colin Taylor makes a copy of these pipes. Kurt had an exact duplicate set made for his racing exploits and the replacement pipes are on his bike in the photo above.

David

davidd

VOC Member
No, I welded them up myself. I would have preferred to have Colin do them. His CNC bender does a nicer job. Unfortunately, I never got out of the experimental stage to where I was satisfied with a good design.

The trick to cutting and welding exhaust pipes is cutting them on the centerline. You have to make a jig for the bandsaw to hold the pipe while cutting. It is simple to do. A piece of plate with a spindle installed at the end of a slot. Some wooden blocks to fit the radius of the bend you are cutting.
1750cut.jpg

Take a bend the same diameter and make a cut in a band saw.
tubecutting.png

You can then take those two pieces of tube, or another tube the same size cut the same way and weld it on and it can be turned to any position along the cuts and it will fit. The one above is made by Icengineworks, but it is simple to build.

I do have the Icengineworks welding clamps. I use them to build the pipe in place on the engine. I can then position or tack the joints and finish the welding on the bench..
11.jpg

Icengineworks makes tools for making headers.
https://www.icengineworks.com/

David

ericg

VOC Member
Thanks David,
That's beyond my skill, I'm just almost good with mallets, hammers and the English wheel to persuade sheet metal as it's my job. :)
Icengineworks stuff is really ingenious and practical but too expensive for a one off.
I'll try to contact Bob Culver and see if can do a Grey Flash pipe on the ex-factory bending machine.
Eric

ericg

VOC Member
No, I welded them up myself. I would have preferred to have Colin do them. His CNC bender does a nicer job. Unfortunately, I never got out of the experimental stage to where I was satisfied with a good design.

The trick to cutting and welding exhaust pipes is cutting them on the centerline. You have to make a jig for the bandsaw to hold the pipe while cutting. It is simple to do. A piece of plate with a spindle installed at the end of a slot. Some wooden blocks to fit the radius of the bend you are cutting.
View attachment 23569
Take a bend the same diameter and make a cut in a band saw.
View attachment 23570
You can then take those two pieces of tube, or another tube the same size cut the same way and weld it on and it can be turned to any position along the cuts and it will fit. The one above is made by Icengineworks, but it is simple to build.

I do have the Icengineworks welding clamps. I use them to build the pipe in place on the engine. I can then position or tack the joints and finish the welding on the bench..
View attachment 23571

Icengineworks makes tools for making headers.
https://www.icengineworks.com/

David
By the way, what is the diameter of a GF pipe? Are they 2" as the Lightning?