G: Gearbox (Twin) Inspection cap thread repair...

Bill Thomas

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Thank's Neil, I think I saw that first, But I bought mine from a bike show, Netly auto jumble, Alutight, Just reading the blurb, "Attentsion ! Do not use acetylene ! ", Attention maybe europe spelling, That's how it's on this paper .
Cheers Bill.

greg brillus

VOC Member
My machinist would machine the hole out square and true, then machine up a threaded insert that itself would thread in, or possibly TIG weld in. It will be expensive. Sometimes you have to "Bite the bullet" and get it repaired properly............Or find another cover.

nkt267

VOC Member
Alutight is correct..If your'e at a show look out for the 'Swedish metal' man. It is easier to use than the other one.If you are with a friend who wants some buy 2 'Swedish' metres and you get a better deal.

davidd

VOC Member
You could make one:

IMG_2257.JPG

The color and mounting would be a bit of work. An alternative is to make them out of dark chocolate and sell them to Vincent owners who wish to reduce their wobbles.

David

vibrac

VOC Member
Son Ben used it to solder a second bump for the cable exit on a Norton box when the first decided to end up under the F106 I was amazed how good the stuff was cleanliness and heat did the trick

Phil Arundel

VOC Member
I have a kickstart cover G1/1. Unfortunately, the thread for the inspection cap is stripped. I’m hoping to find someone to machine it out and replace with a threaded insert. Does anyone know who could carry out this work? Thanks Paul
Morning Paul, Conway Motors will be able to solve your problem.
Cheers
Phil

erik

VOC Member
i had a problem with a worn thread on the exhaust.i filed the thread as god as possible and a friend widened the exhaust nut with a bolt pressed through the nut.he had to to it twice ,but now it is repaired and it works since 5000kilometres.so the engine stays unopened.Erik

erik

VOC Member
i would like to add that the exhaust thread repair is much more critical than the inspection cap repair.Erik

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
i had a problem with a worn thread on the exhaust.i filed the thread as god as possible and a friend widened the exhaust nut with a bolt pressed through the nut.he had to to it twice ,but now it is repaired and it works since 5000kilometres.so the engine stays unopened.Erik
I have a few Ex/ Nuts, Some are bigger than others, So it's worth trying another one.
Cheers Bill.