G: Gearbox (Twin) Inspection cap thread repair...

Bill Thomas

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
There is a cheap Alloy type of stuff, That goes on a bit like solder, That would do for that job, Where there is no oil or pressure. Cheers Bill.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Yes Bill, but then you have to reduce the metal that you have deposited and then tap a new thread, not an easy job with that diameter.
Yes but you didn't see the man do the Demo'.
He filled the hole with the stud in there, And it made it's own thread !, Magic.
Might be tricky with an alloy cap, But what if you used an exhaust nut, Someone said they are the same thread.
Just fitted my old Mag cowl on my ex L/ning, With bits cut out for Manual advance, might try and fill with this stuff. Cheers Bill.

oexing

VOC Member
Hmmm, might be worth a try: Glue the cap on the cover with Araldite - after you have treated the cap thread with wax or the like for a chance to unwind it after curing the glue. It is not a critical place after all to use Araldite - or any other two pack filled adhesives.

Vic

Bowsh

Non-VOC Member
I might try an exhaust nut and solder. If that doesn’t work Maughans it is.......

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Goggle alutight I think there is something like it at Salisbury.
Might not be very cheap, £40 a meter, But you don't need that much. Have a read.
I don't think solder will do it.
Cheers Bill.