FF: Forks Head light brackets

Albervin

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
The headlights fitted to post war bikes destined for the USA were different to all the others. Time for more medication.

Simon Dinsdale

VOC Machine Registrar
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
The headlights fitted to post war bikes destined for the USA were different to all the others. Time for more medication.
The headlight shell on USA bikes was no different. It was the headlight lens unit that was sealed beam for the USA bikes. I believe these were slightly larger so a different headlight rim was used to fit everything together, but I have never seen one.

TouringGodet

VOC Member
VOC Forum Administrator
VOC Forum Moderator
I know the US sealed beam headlights require a notch in the shell, to locate the bulb in the correct position. I don't know if that notch would be present in shells not intended for the US style sealed beam units. But yes, US style headlights have the different rim, with a bolt pinching the rim together, instead of the spring clip. I posted pictures not too long ago, let me see if I can find the thread.

Cyborg

VOC Member
The B that I'm working on is from 1948 and was initially shipped to Canada, so it likely came with a normal setup (whatever that is) I'll order up a 6 1/2 shell from VOC spares.
Thanks for your help gents.

greg brillus

VOC Member
The miller shell that mostly went to the US market was different in that it had a lip that runs around the front of the shell more, this is so the split rim can hook over it, and it does have a small "Cut out" section at about 11 o'clock to locate the reflector. I have seen some Vincent's with the 7 inch shell and these are deeper and larger. I'm not sure these bikes left the factory with this type of shell, or people fit them later on. From what I can see, the front glass gives the size of the headlight.......If you measure the entire diameter of the glass from 6.5 inch Miller, then it does in fact measure 6.5 inches. Where the lens protrudes through the chromed rim this comes out at 6 inches generally.

BigEd

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
The headlight shell on USA bikes was no different. It was the headlight lens unit that was sealed beam for the USA bikes. I believe these were slightly larger so a different headlight rim was used to fit everything together, but I have never seen one.
Loosely assembled this one this morning. Standard 6.5" shell, split rim and 7" light unit.
6.5shell_7lightunit.jpg

Last edited:

Cyborg

VOC Member
The miller shell that mostly went to the US market was different in that it had a lip that runs around the front of the shell more, this is so the split rim can hook over it, and it does have a small "Cut out" section at about 11 o'clock to locate the reflector. I have seen some Vincent's with the 7 inch shell and these are deeper and larger. I'm not sure these bikes left the factory with this type of shell, or people fit them later on. From what I can see, the front glass gives the size of the headlight.......If you measure the entire diameter of the glass from 6.5 inch Miller, then it does in fact measure 6.5 inches. Where the lens protrudes through the chromed rim this comes out at 6 inches generally.

The one I have... the glass is about 6 and 9/16 where it protrudes through the rim. The opening in the shell is 7", so now I'm not sure I can get away with just the 6.5 shell from the spares co. May need the whole assembly.
Who knows what they meant by the " 7" lamp" written on the works order form.

greg brillus

VOC Member
Just gone through the selection I have of 6 1/2 and 8 inch shells/rims/glasses/reflectors.......I would say after checking all these parts that the actual part that most accurately measures up at the given size of the light assembly, is the overall diameter of the reflector itself. On the standard 6 1/2 inch light unit the reflector measures in at exactly 6 1/2 inches and the same for the earlier 8 inch light assembly. This seems to me to be the way that they arrived at any given size for the headlight assembly. All these parts are available from the Voc spares co, although the glass in the supplied reflector unit needs to be changed to either the fluted pattern or the Miller Diamond type as the type it has is more of a Lucas one.

poor1

Non-VOC Member
I presume that the sizes being quoted here are in direct response to the US import.

What size was fitted to a 1953 Comet please?.