Misc: Electric Starters HD Decompressors (Solenoid)

Vincent Brake

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
To Bruce.
Relais, in headlamp.
Still have to nip up the headbolt for the damper.

2023-04-0110.17.494794770979483429231.jpg

Vincent Brake

VOC Member
Vincent, That bike in your pics is that a Godet Egli.......if so, is it a 1330 engine.......A friend/customer of mine in Tassie has had continuing issues with his starter set up........this is the latest set up that the Godet boys are using with a cush drive chainwheel and no ESA on the crank per normal.......it seems now the teeth on the ring gear bend rather than break off.......this bike has had all the original valve lifter mech installed in the timing chest............no end to it.......
Its is Greg, from '14isch. 1330cc
Its the 3rd main starter sprocket.
Were made of C45. Than carbonitrided. But core to hard. Hence no ductility. Braking theeth....
Now made of EN36C got a blank from HPC grears.
Made me 2 extra.....

I guess now that the failure is due to not hard enough engaging forward, the little pinion in the big gear. Saw that when i was ready....as it was axially floating forth and back not a small amount..
So i tried to stiffen up the spring on the bendix solenoid inner core.
Problem: pinion was not put back when at rest. So moved the whole core back by 1.5 -1.8 mm (machined the plasitc part in picture above) and put in a 4 mm ball onto the pin (witch is spring loaded in the solenoid core)
Now there was sufficient load to keep it forward during start.

Reason to do the work;
dicided to ease up by these decompressors.
And put in a new ESA. Made some years ago, by my Son Bart.

But reading you put in an decompressor..... makes me....
Hope its not uselesss.

And in the process got to understand a Harley part very well...

Next is a small video.

And btw. Amazing i can type this all on such a silly Samsung.
Very well working site this.

Last edited:

greg brillus

VOC Member
I think there are a few issues going on here that are not so obvious to the untrained eye........The teeth width is very narrow.......far less than a car type ring gear........this equates to a weak tooth for a start......the pinion does need to mesh quite tight against the main ring gear.......because the starter pinion gear is not supported when it comes into mesh, the force driving the pinion away from the main gear is very large, in other words, the pinion is trying to climb away from the ring gear thus......if the gap opens up which it will, the tooth contact is poor and the teeth start to bend.........My short answer would be to make the teeth longer and simply move the chainwheel/clutch basket further outward........my friend says that is not possible, but i feel there has to be a way to do this........another 2 mm would make a big difference........I'm sitting on the fence about the cush drive........It seems mostly needed to save the shock torque passing into the main shaft.......on the original set up the ESA would ramp up fully one way when you hit the starter button, but when the engine fires, the ESA goes the full opposite direction sending a massive shock through the chain and the starter/ring gear........this sounded like the starter was being hit with a massve sledge hammer........ At first i thought we had fixed my friends bike (2015 Godet 1330) but it appears the issue is still there........Another point I feel is that the carby's are wrong for these bikes........The Mikuni is a great carby but in this instance not at all.........Better carb would be a 36 mm pumper Dellorto........a couple of twists of the throttle to squirt some raw fuel down each inlet, and when you hit the starter, the engine would fire much better than with a simple lever type choke that makes the engine rev too much on a cold engine........once hot then the carb is near too lean for a good start.......If I had one of these bikes i would change the carb's before anything else. Some of these issues are not easy to solve.......Cheers.

Vincent Brake

VOC Member
I did put the chain 2 mm outwards, so to put in a wider sprocket, but more so as the pinion hit the chain....
Chew, chew, Mmmm.

Well after this season I know if it did held....