Misc: Electric Starters HD Decompressors (Solenoid)

davidd

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Stuart Hooper (World's Fastest Velocette) used Bellville washers in his ESA. I have not spoken with him recently, but he said they worked but that he had to replace them often to keep the ESA working.

David

oexing

VOC Member
Thanks, David, for the report about Belleville washers on ESAs. I was thinking about these for my own design but had same headaches about useful times of these. I knew from my trade in injection moulding that these break in times so kept the tiny springs as standard. But then, no trouble with coil bound loads on them with my ESA design.

Vic

Howard

VOC Member
I use HD decompressors with a Grosset starter. Two buttons, Press both, when the engine's spinning let go of the decompressor button, easy. It also means I've got decompressors if I need to use the kickstart.

Vincent Brake

VOC Member
Thanks, David, for the report about Belleville washers on ESAs. I was thinking about these for my own design but had same headaches about useful times of these. I knew from my trade in injection moulding that these break in times so kept the tiny springs as standard. But then, no trouble with coil bound loads on them with my ESA design.

Vic
Hi Vic.
Belleville washers may NOT be fully to flat compressed.
I hope to get that out by a ring made out out PUR.
2mm shore 80.

Cheers

V

Vincent Brake

VOC Member
So, its all done.
I noticed that little bendix pinion during starting, axially foated, about 2-3mm.
Ended up by putting a 4 mm ball in the bendix itself. And machined it to go more back in rest position.
I think the starter is not so well placed in axial position initially.
20230331_163716.jpg

I got hold of a timer relais so igition is off during fist 1,5 sec. And the decompressor open.
After this time elapsed. Ign on, decompr closed.
Even when the starter is stopped. And on again. Timer runs.
Very nice.
Cheers.
20230331_183209.jpg

bmetcalf

VOC Member
Where is the timer mounted?
I like the waisted head nuts.
How do you keep the steering damper bracket from rotating?

greg brillus

VOC Member
Vincent, That bike in your pics is that a Godet Egli.......if so, is it a 1330 engine.......A friend/customer of mine in Tassie has had continuing issues with his starter set up........this is the latest set up that the Godet boys are using with a cush drive chainwheel and no ESA on the crank per normal.......it seems now the teeth on the ring gear bend rather than break off.......this bike has had all the original valve lifter mech installed in the timing chest............no end to it.......