HB: Handlebars HB9AS Front Brake Cable, Long

Mikethebike

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Well, bugger me sideways to Thursday! The memory's not shot after all! Of course, Alyson my little Rocky Mountain squirrel, shortening the outer cable might dangerously interfere with other bits dangling around in the cockpit. Good Luck.
It's not a good idea to stretch the outer in order to cut it, as it'll never go back without being spongy.

Alyson

VOC Member
Hi Mike, I wasn't thinking of stretching the outer cable, I was only thinking in order to shorten the upper outer control cable I could, at my mark,
pull to make a separation in the coil, in order to cut it. By shortening the upper, I'm in essence making the lower (bear in mind I'm talking about the long cable) longer by 5/8" so it would work as intended. I've not done that as I have a good spare on at the moment. I might just bite the bullet and buy a new correct one. I do like the heavy duty outer cables. Also, I'd have to deal with the pressed on ferruls so most likely won't go that route with the old wrong length cable.

Mikethebike

VOC Member
Hi Mike, I wasn't thinking of stretching the outer cable, I was only thinking in order to shorten the upper outer control cable I could, at my mark,
pull to make a separation in the coil, in order to cut it. By shortening the upper, I'm in essence making the lower (bear in mind I'm talking about the long cable) longer by 5/8" so it would work as intended. I've not done that as I have a good spare on at the moment. I might just bite the bullet and buy a new correct one. I do like the heavy duty outer cables. Also, I'd have to deal with the pressed on ferruls so most likely won't go that route with the old wrong length cable.
Hi Alyson. Good luck if you do modify your cable, but it might be easier to remove and re-solder the nipple at one end - perfectly sound, if you splay the cable strands into the nipple. Incidentally, the use of heavy duty cable, especially when routed to the left side, is the reason for needing the FF74/1 spring (to lift & bend the heavy cable).

Alyson

VOC Member
Hi Mike, I don't have the length on the inner cable. Mine measures 43 3/8" and these are supposed to be 44". The cable was new in the package, dated 08/12/14 so not sure if it reads 08 Dec. or Aug. 12 but either way, 2014. I suggest if anyone has a spare cable, new in the package, from the spares and it's dated around this time, check it. Might be short. In my case it's not a case of removing the nipple at one end as the inner cable is too short to begin with. And I can't stretch it. I figured by removing some of the outer control cable I would in effect have more inner cable to work with. But for now all is good. I might just purchase a new cable for what it's worth. Maybe not as the one on right now is quite fine.