HB: Handlebars HB9AS Front Brake Cable, Long

Alyson

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Just opened a package (spares) from long ago, date on package shows 2014. This is the long brake cable and it appears to be too short. I figured it might be for a Brampton fork but I can not find a listing for a separate brake cable for Bramptons and Girdraulics. So, has anyone else tried to fit these and found them to be too short or am I missing something. I don't want to mess with a brand new cable unless I have to. Thanks !!

chankly bore

Non-VOC Member
Yup, I ran in to this problem some years back. It was just bad manufacture. I forget the exact measurements, about 5/8", but as I pointed out to the Spares Co. the cable run must form an angle of less than 90° with the centre line of the brake arm with the brake hard on. Otherwise mechanical advantage vanishes like an overnight mushroom. I have written at tedious length about brake adjustment on this, and other Forums. I believe Bob Patchett at the Spares Co. was aware of this problem.

Alyson

VOC Member
Yup, I ran in to this problem some years back. It was just bad manufacture. I forget the exact measurements, about 5/8", but as I pointed out to the Spares Co. the cable run must form an angle of less than 90° with the centre line of the brake arm with the brake hard on. Otherwise mechanical advantage vanishes like an overnight mushroom. I have written at tedious length about brake adjustment on this, and other Forums. I believe Bob Patchett at the Spares Co. was aware of this problem.
Thank You. I've gotten a very nice spare one from Dr. Watson so I've put that one on for the time being. I figure if need be, I'll measure back and
cut the vinyl sheath with a razor, then pull on and separate the outer coil wire at my mark, then snip/dremel cut it off. I can put a small pointed tool in the outer cable between the inner and outer to protect the inner cable when I do this. But for now, I'll bed in the shoes that R.W. did so nicely and use the good used cable. Thanks All. And that makes sense that this cable is a bit short as it is old stock that I've had on the shelf for a bit now so most likely one of the older ones that were manufactured short.

chankly bore

Non-VOC Member
Well, bugger me sideways to Thursday! The memory's not shot after all! Of course, Alyson my little Rocky Mountain squirrel, shortening the outer cable might dangerously interfere with other bits dangling around in the cockpit. Good Luck.