ET: Engine (Twin) Godet electric starter

clevtrev

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Has anyone here ever actually worked on one of these bikes.........particularly the later ones that use the Harley sportster starter motor. I'm interested in any starter/engine issues..............Cheers.
Greg, you need to contact François Grosset, he designed it.

Vincent Brake

VOC Member
I think the very first came from the H.D. land, over the big, big pond.
Steve Hamel?

Since, anybody and his dog makes it.

Not for the faint hearted though...
One needs to get rid of the lay shaft inner bearing.
And stil the primary chain goes outwards.
And bit more.

I am such a dog also....

Let allone, in the end the motor is bit low, as Mr. P. Noticed when taking a high bump...

Cheers.

Chris Launders

VOC Member
It is a sandwich piece fitting between the main casing and end cover and drives the gearbox mainshaft where the kickstart does, it's in the text.

timetraveller

VOC Member
Reading through the pdf instructions, which are in several European languages including English, it seems that it has the same restrictions as the French one for our bikes. It uses a 'sprag' clutch which means that the bike must not be pushed backwards whilst in gear. Bendix or pre-engaged would seem to be the way to go.

greg brillus

VOC Member
I've had this bike here a bit over a month now and still waiting for parts to arrive........Once I have them then the fun begins.........Reinvent the wheel, that's how it goes in Vincent lore isn't it.

Bill Cannon

VOC Member
Reading through the pdf instructions, which are in several European languages including English, it seems that it has the same restrictions as the French one for our bikes. It uses a 'sprag' clutch which means that the bike must not be pushed backwards whilst in gear. Bendix or pre-engaged would seem to be the way to go.
I have starter in the dynamo position driving a ring gear on the clutch through a sprag clutch. In this position there is no problem reversing in gear.
Cheers Bill