ET: Engine (Twin) Godet electric starter

Monkeypants

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
That makes good sense. The Alton is certainly capable of the higher voltage.
The 13.1v at idle would be unlikely, but I suspect that isn't so critical. Most motorcycles don't spend much time idling.
Glen

Martyn Goodwin

Non-VOC Member
Yes i use shorai Greg.
But once its been totally emptey its loss is hudge.
I use therefore the biggest one.

I like them as they arr black
HI Vincent.

If your Shorai has been drained so much that a true shorai charger will NOT charge it I suggest you get an old fashion battery charger and put the shorai on it but for no longer than 2 minutes. The idea is just to wake up the Shorai. After that then use the shorai charger.

Worked for me.

BigEd

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
HI Vincent.

If your Shorai has been drained so much that a true shorai charger will NOT charge it I suggest you get an old fashion battery charger and put the shorai on it but for no longer than 2 minutes. The idea is just to wake up the Shorai. After that then use the shorai charger.

Worked for me.
I inadvertently left something switched on.:( A few days later when I went to the bike the Shorai battery was "dead", not a glimmer. I have an Optimate Lithium charger that I connected up and it returned the battery to full charge, displayed a green light and went into trickle/maintenance mode.:D You can use a normal type charger as Martyn did but be careful that is not set to a too high charge rate and also that it does not have a de-sulphate mode. I believe that this uses a higher voltage "spike" to bust sulphation, not suitable for a Lithium battery.

Martyn Goodwin

Non-VOC Member
I inadvertently left something switched on.:( A few days later when I went to the bike the Shorai battery was "dead", not a glimmer. I have an Optimate Lithium charger that I connected up and it returned the battery to full charge, displayed a green light and went into trickle/maintenance mode.:D You can use a normal type charger as Martyn did but be careful that is not set to a too high charge rate and also that it does not have a de-sulphate mode. I believe that this uses a higher voltage "spike" to bust sulphation, not suitable for a Lithium battery.
Spot on about the 'de-sulphate mode' which is why I specified an "old fashioned' charger.

Vincent Brake

VOC Member
As all batteries are connected in serie.
The voltage taken by each can differ.
Therefore shorai made a special charger taking care of each set of parralel connected bateries.

But once drained like above mentioned does hurt a lith. battery.

I discovered when bought a new one.

And than like Eddie mentioned, left the switch on again.

Its like life.... Do we learn...?

timetraveller

VOC Member
And yet there are several people with 'Walkernators' Lion batteries and starters who seem to be happy. It seems that the charging voltage out of the regulated alternator is not enough to destroy the batteries. I've read the literature and know the potential problems but on out bikes in real world use people seem to get away with it. Anyone care to comment on their experience.

bmetcalf

VOC Member
I see that is equivalent to 6 AWG cable for the US. No wonder my 6V 3.3 L 1931 Ford was having trouble starting with a cable equivalent to 20 mm2! I was just curious, I'm soldiering on with just K/S.