Gearbox woes

greg brillus

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Could you not simply hydraulic the oil into the bush by filling up the center cavity and squeezing the open ends in your fingers. I'm sure we use to do this years ago to starter motor and generator bushings before assembly.....? You are forcing the oil through the pores in the bushing correct....?

Howard

VOC Member
Am I missing something? Why do you all want to re-lubricate cheap bushes? You risk damaging them when removing/replacing them, then you fill them with a variety of oils/greases not used by the manufacturer. Just use a grease gun and treat them like plain bushes when the lube has gone, and the natural life is over, until you can replace them with new bushes.
If you're storing new ones for future use, store them in a jam jar full of oil to stop them drying out.

H

ps I like the deep fat fryer idea, but I still get hate mail from a friend's wife, for using her oven to remove main bearings. :D

ogrilp400

Non-VOC Member
I have had solid bronze bushes, either lead bronze or ali bronze I can't remember, for over 200,000 miles. No problem yet. Oh and I run EP80/90 gear oil as well.

John Cone

VOC Member
On the subject of bushes, should the bush C17 in the clutch cotton reel be an oilite or bronze because on initial assembly it can be oiled but what about later.

BigEd

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
On the subject of bushes, should the bush C17 in the clutch cotton reel be an oilite or bronze because on initial assembly it can be oiled but what about later.
Does the C17 only have to operate as a bearing while the clutch lever is pulled in so it doesn't need a lot of lubrication?

Howard

VOC Member
Think you're right Eddy. I don't remember changing mine. This is probably a steel backed PTFE application if you can find the right size. The lubrication could probably do more harm to the clutch than good for the bearing.

H