Fitting Mikuni carbs

Pushrod Twin

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
That is very tidy. I have a pair of PHBH 28 earmarked for my Egli Replica, expected to 7.5 or 8:1cr. What jetting do you use? Roy.

BobFletch

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
I have PHF36mm carbs on my Egli. My engine is a new 1330cc Bob Dunn special with twin spark heads (both Front). I have had a real struggle with the carbs but nearly there now. If you'd like some suggestions jet sizes etc please let me know. I suspect though that the carbs would be too big for a 998 engine - unless for competition use. They are pretty though!! Bob.

Black Flash

VOC Member
What I liked most about the mikuni is the ease and responsivness of tuning.
You lift the needle one notch, you notice the change immediately, same applies to all the tuning parts jets etc.
The only jet where I found it hard to feel a change was the little air jet that fights overriching the mixture at full throttle.
I followed the instructions in the mikuni tuning book from Victoria library. I could have saved a lot of time if I had this book from the start. I highly recommend it.
Bernie

vibrac

VOC Member
Yes you can add me to the Mikuni fan club. When I think of the wasted hours on monoblocks and especially concentric 'things':mad:. Note in that comment I exclude Amals made before 1955, but I am not so sure of the quality of repro ones nowadays.
When getting a Mikuni from Allens my experience is its fit and forget (..Oh I changed the pilot jet on one bike)

Dave61

Non-VOC Member
Has anyone got any advice on routing the fuel lines to the Mikuni`s ?
I`ve attached a couple of photos of my first attempt, I`m not happy with the supply to the front carb, fuel filter is barely showing any petrol.
I had thought that the tank being higher would provide enough "Head" to overcome the upward run but it doesn`t look likely at the moment.
Had thought about using some 8mm Copper pipe to gain some height but have noticed that my fuel tap outlet is around the same level as the fuel entry on the front carb so not even sure if that would work.
Cheers
Dave
IMG_20191227_163421.jpg
IMG_20191227_163505.jpg

stu spalding

VOC Member
Hi Dave, I sweated a 1/4 BSP fitting onto the standard spigot with Loctite 648. Been on for over 20 years with no problems. Cheers, Stu.
P1050845.JPG