Fitting Mikuni carbs

clevtrev

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Oh Robert, Robert - if only life was that simple. The 28mm version doesn't have a jet fitted, just a hole drilled in the casting.
If you can tell me where I can buy a smaller hole (very cheap) to replace the one that's too big I'd be pleased, or what about a part exchange deal?

Simply hit the hole with a suitable size ballbearing, and reduce the diameter.

b'knighted

VOC Member
You'll need to practice to get really accurate with your catapult before you can guarantee to hit it dead centre with a tiny ball bearing. Watch out for ricochets!

Cheers,

G

Graham Smith

I am a member by the way, but for some reason it says I'm not.

HI Brian

On the front page that you see when you log on, you will find specific instructions on how to upgrade your membership of this forum so it recognises you as a VOC member.

However, the instructions are also detailed HERE.

Give me a shout if you need further assistance.

Graham

Robert Watson

VOC Member
There seems to have been quite a few holes floating around here lately, but it seems most of them were quite large, so I'm not sure you will find a small one to buy!!

Vince Farrell

VOC Member
Are they left and right handed?

Motocarb have most sizes above 30mm handed, but not 30mm and below. I understand that when used on a twin one of the slide adjuster screws has to be shortened, but have been told it's not a problem. The choke lever can be fitted either way round. The 28mm instrument has the air scew on one side and slide height adjuster on the other.

roy the mechanic

VOC Member
there are 2 body sizes of mikuni carbs, the bigger one is great for the comet, alas on a twin it's too big to fit on the front and clear the rear head! so you can only use the"small body" on your twin.

Vince Farrell

VOC Member
there are 2 body sizes of mikuni carbs, the bigger one is great for the comet, alas on a twin it's too big to fit on the front and clear the rear head! so you can only use the"small body" on your twin.

I think you will find there are a lot more than two body sizes of Mikunis. The range of interest to Vincent owners are 26 and 28mm (same size) 30, 32 and 34mm (same size) then 36 and 38mm (as big as a bucket). As Roy says, on a twin life is much less complicated if using the 26 or 28mm versions, the bigger sizes are possible, but a lot of buggering about.

vibrac

VOC Member
I dont think based on the information above I would risk spending money on mikuni. (you got to admit its a bit sketchy) what sort of mikuni for a start VM ?TM? suduco? RS? The US site looks a better bet at least there is a carb selected to suit and all the jets and slides sorted is there anywhere like that in UK?