ET: Engine (Twin) Exhaust Washers

vibrac

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Rofor had a range of taps in increasing size and cut the nuts to fit he had obviously done it many times.
I inherited a 'pipe' solution head, the guides and seats were excelent and I gave it had a long hard life on the comet racer untill there was 'a comotion' in the head which placed it back on my shelf, when I get time and a reason (and a suitable exhaust pipe) I would not hesitate to refurbish it
1700819989832.jpeg

timetraveller

VOC Member
I've been keeping out of this as I have advocated clear silicon sealant for years and Bowsh is the only person to mention it. I had assumed that the lack of interest was that people wanted something more technical. Just put it on the inner end of the finned nut and the thread and make sure that there is enough to 'squidge' to form a seal.

timetraveller

VOC Member
Sure, put some there as well but not so much that it will squidge out to partly block the internal diameter of the exhaust pipe itself.

Colin

VOC Member
Norman. If sealant does partly block internal diameter of pipe (just to a small extent) will it not be blown out when you start the engine?
Sealing of pipe to head is a particular problem for my Greeves East Coaster (250, 4T Villiers 2 stroke)

timetraveller

VOC Member
Hi Colin, it might but it is very sticky stuff. I first came upon this use of silicon when I was either helping or acting as passenger for a sidecar racing chum (I forget which). I was wondering around in the paddock at lunch time, as one does. and got talking to a couple of chaps who were rebuilding the top half of their engine over the break. Sidecar racers are often not rich and do all their own work. These chaps were putting household silicon sealant on the cylinder head and exhaust joints and assured me that it lasted for ages. Later, and as an experiment. I used on on my twin exhaust threads and where the joints are in the exhaust system. No leaks and no trouble getting things undone later. The reason that I always specify clear is that I have another hobby of sailing in the Mediterranean and on boats one often has to re-bed windows or hatches to prevent leaks. One can always go for £20+ pounds a tube stuff but over the years I have used silicon. My experience is that if one uses a silicon with colour, white or whatever, it will not be very stretchable after one year of Mediterranean sun. If clear, or translucent as it is called in Spain, is used then it is still providing a good seal five or six years later. If one has to take something apart then the old mastic can be stretched to several times it relaxed length whereas if pigmented silicon is used then it will snap before it is stretched too far. Based upon this experience I have only every used clear on exhaust systems. I imagine that it could be used on a two stroke exhaust system but I would want to try to get it grease free first. Good luck and let us know how it goes if you try it.

vibrac

VOC Member
Norman. If sealant does partly block internal diameter of pipe (just to a small extent) will it not be blown out when you start the engine?
Sealing of pipe to head is a particular problem for my Greeves East Coaster (250, 4T Villiers 2 stroke)
Colin we could be shot for this on a hallowed thread but I have a Norman B3 powered by the same power egg we should discuss eleswhere ;)

Colin

VOC Member
I know you have Tim, I only have the Greeves 'cos I could not find a Norman B3 (made up the road from me) that was good enough . But if we keep moving we'll be less of a target!!