ET: Engine (Twin) Exhaust gaskets

stu spalding

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
It should be kept in mind that the design of the nut/ flange was to provide as little surface area as possible for heat transfer from pipe to head. Copper gaskets are not a good idea in this instance. Cheers, Stu.

greg brillus

VOC Member
The only easy way to check the alignment is to assemble and tighten one pipe at a time, that way you can see which direction the pipe moves to in relation to the mounting bracket behind the kickstart cover. Put a piece of masking tape along the bottom of the timing cover, then once the rear pipe is in place, you can draw some marks on the masking tape with a texter pen, then compare this to the joint on the front header pipe. You will struggle to get it all perfect, as changing the flange angles is not very easy, but that is what the gaskets are for. But you can get a good result with some patience, and it may just save your exhaust threads a lot of grief as well..........just another tip.........On some pipes, the angles can be a bit tight where the pipe goes through the nut, I have found that if you open up the nut on the inside with a rotary burr, this makes a huge difference to gaining a bit more clearance, especially when starting and doing up the nuts, the less effort required here the lesser chance of thread damage. Cheers..................Greg.

Cyborg

VOC Member
Thanks Greg,
There seems to be enough room to get the nuts started without too much of a fuss. I've tried what you suggested with just the front pipe. I end up with a little bit of space between the mounting bracket and the plate. I had to persuade the bracket rearward a bit so it will line up with the hole in the (FT108) plate. I don't want to drill any new or elongate holes unless absolutely necessary. I'll make up the correct sized shim/washer to take up the space so there isn't any extra stress on the pipe. Will try the masking tape. I think they are going to be close enough so the slightly thicker asbestos gaskets donated by Robert will take up any remaining misalignment. Failing that, I can always toss the pipes in a fit of rage and use the Lightening pattern ones hanging on the wall.

Cyborg

VOC Member
Perseverance is the answer, you must persevere until they fit, and to avoid temptation you can send the lightening pipes to me.
Chris.

When I say Lightning pattern, I use the term loosely. They aren't 2" and stack one atop the other, so the K/start can still be used. I'm still rather attached to them.... like everything else around this place. Postage would likely be a kings ransom anyway. My dearly departed brother had them on his C Rapide during it's maiden voyage after it's major refit. He literally didn't make it two blocks before the local constabulary gave him a sizeable invoice for making such a racket.

PipesL:ning.jpg