ET: Engine (Twin) Engine Oil

Doug

Forum User
VOC Member
What is the preferred engine oil for your Vincent?
Has anyone tried the newer Synthetic Motorcycle oils?
Straight 50 wt. or 20-50 wt. ?
Interested to hear what other members believe works best for these engines.
Cheers

vibrac

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
1668195455312.png

vibrac

VOC Member
Joking aside because one of the bonus points is that 'R' leaves the engine internals so clean we decided to use 'R' in the racer gearbox, after one meeting we decided to check, the oil came out black, really black. We filled again with 'R' did another meeting oil came out clean as clean and has stayed so ever since

oexing

VOC Member
When thinking about debris returned to circulation by detergent oil I´d believe the oil filter has to do its job effectively, provided it is a suitable type. Yes, fresh grit from the sump will not be great for the oil pump at the first stage before oil enters the filter. Even so, the rest of the engine might be uneffected - or so I ´d think naively . . . .
Second thought, why can debris collect in the sump at all in an engine with oil filter , hmmm . . . .
Vic

ericg

VOC Member
When thinking about debris returned to circulation by detergent oil I´d believe the oil filter has to do its job effectively, provided it is a suitable type. Yes, fresh grit from the sump will not be great for the oil pump at the first stage before oil enters the filter. Even so, the rest of the engine might be uneffected - or so I ´d think naively . . . .
Second thought, why can debris collect in the sump at all in an engine with oil filter , hmmm . . . .
Vic
Bits from the timing side?

oexing

VOC Member
Debris collected in sump is not a problem while it stays there. Otherwise not great for the oil pump´s return/drain side, will end up in oil tank. Then gets entered into oil pump later and dumped in filter hopefully ?? That requires an oil filter worth its name certainly !

Vic