Electric Vehicles (I Don’t Think So)

timetraveller

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Tim, the problem is not that we will suffocate or that the plants might grow faster, it is melting of the pole caps. The Arctic is not a problem as that ice cap is already floating. Think of icebergs where only about10 - 12% is above the water. The real problem is twofold. One: the Greenland Ice Cap which is largely on land. If that melts then the global sea level comes up about seven metre (20 feet to the non metricated). And secondly, if the Antarctic ice cap goes the sea level goes up to about 70 metres (200 feet) above its present level. It is instructive to look at a global map of all the land above 70 metres. Much of the world is unaffected. The UK does not do well, the Netherlands and Bangladesh would disappear. Florida, well look it up for yourself, Hopefully someone will still be making efuel to keep we petrol heads happy but I would not guarantee it.

Last edited:

mercurycrest

VOC Member
And when Greenland melts we lose the Gulf Stream and North Atlantic currents and anything that's lives depend on those currents.. i.e. Fish, etc..

timetraveller

VOC Member
Quite right Bill, There have been at least five ice ages, However, look at the rate of carbon dioxide increase now compared with that in previous events and you will see just how frightening the speed of the present increase is. There have been many times in the past when the sea level was both higher and lower than at present. Did you know that the Mediterranean Sea has dried up several times in the past when the Straights of Gibraltar have closed up, Hard to imagine I know when all we have is one short human life time to experience it in but it is all there in the geological record.

vibrac

VOC Member
That gulf stream switch off is a fallacy drempt up by St Thornburg's mates and the click on the browser link culture
see:
And Musk may be a piece of work but he is so right about getting an escape hatch for the Human race
(Asteroid,Yellowstone, and the button to think of 3)

Engineer the planet, exploit the Moon, mine the asteroids and settle Mars that will do till 2200