Dont play misty for me

vibrac

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I spent Good Friday night riding in the Lands end trial in darkest Dorset and Cornwall when I do a section in the dark I put up my visor so I can see clearly in my headlight (obviously mot Joe Lucas) where that little stone is that will send me rolling back down the hill.
Trouble is if I stop on the hill for a restart within seconds my glasses mist up and I am lost :(now I can hardly rub the cut end of a tater on them has amyone any ideas? is it the 'do eevrything' coating on modern glasses or what?

timetraveller

VOC Member
I don't now if this will work but when snorkelling one spits inside ones mask and rubs that all over the inside of the glass. That stops the glass misting up when submerged. There are probably more sophisticated, but more expensive, things available. Something that works on windows in houses etc is neat washing up liquid. Wipe it all over the inside of the windows and they do not mist up.

brian gains

VOC Member
as per Norman, when scuba diving spit on inside , wipe around then give a dunk in ocean/water.
one point, if it fogs up mid dive you can always flood mask, clear and carry on. not sure how you would tacckle that mid section.
upside, where people have worn spectacles for a good part of life they seem to have adapted quite well. i came to them late in life and find them impossible, hence i rarely bother with them and have magnifying glasses littered on every surface.

Tony Cording

VOC Member
There is a very effective and proven system for eliminating misting, but not sure if it is applicable to all helmets. My Shoei Multi-tec helmet comes with a pinloc evo secondary screen that fits on the inside of the visor shield. Creating I imagine an airgap between the outer and inner. How well does it work? Dan Smith and I were on a ride in misty/light rain conditions, I suffered from the usual inner shield brutal misting and Dan to prove a point showed me his when we stopped. Clear. Not sure if this helps, but I plan on installing mine for this year's riding.

BigEd

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
There is a very effective and proven system for eliminating misting, but not sure if it is applicable to all helmets. My Shoei Multi-tec helmet comes with a pinloc evo secondary screen that fits on the inside of the visor shield. Creating I imagine an airgap between the outer and inner. How well does it work? Dan Smith and I were on a ride in misty/light rain conditions, I suffered from the usual inner shield brutal misting and Dan to prove a point showed me his when we stopped. Clear. Not sure if this helps, but I plan on installing mine for this year's riding.
I use a Pinlock in my visor. It works pretty well. However, It is not so good for stopping your spectacles from steaming up.

Alyson

VOC Member
I normally wear a Schubert helmet (it fits my German nogan) and when raining and my visor starts to steam up, I simply give it a nudge up. Just a tad and it clears right up.

bmetcalf

VOC Member
Do I remember that classic trials riders would rub a raw potato on the inside surface of their goggles?