Misc: Speedometers David Woods ?

nortonpower

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
I sent a Speedo to Woods for repair many years ago. This was David Woods in those days. It was returned unrepaired and a large bill was attached. I did not pay it. I have heard other similar reports.

I can maybe scan the dial of a KPH speedo and send it to you. You would need someone to do the printing.
View attachment 59984
I tried to phone the Woods Emporium but nobody was available so I might take you up on your offer. If you like, contact me and we go from there. Thanks, Hartmut

Gary Gittleson

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I had Vintagebritishcables.com rebuild my chronometric speedo. They're very good and reasonably priced. I don't know if they have dials. Contact vintagebritishcables@telus.net (Andy Henderson). Located somewhere in Canada. The phone number is 403-580-4217

Worth a try.

oexing

VOC Member
The 5" Chronometric I got from the Spares Co 30 years ago is only in kph up to 250 kmh. No miles scales extra on the dial !

Vic

P1110393.JPG

P1110396.JPG

P1110407.JPG

Last edited:

johncrispin

VOC Member
Hartmut,
perhaps try Russell at "Chronometrics" Sherbroke in Nottingham ? He did a nice job for me on a Shadow clock,
ex Smiths engineer .Good to deal with knowledgeable and reasonable prices.

Speedtwin

VOC Member
David refurbished and serviced my 5 incher last year fantastic service turned it round in about a week including stoving the case.
Al

oexing

VOC Member
Methinks Hartmut just tries to find a kph dial , not a restoration company. In my link below that company might do a special but there is a 250kph dial too when you scroll down.

Vic
Chronometric dial

Tracey Tilley

VOC Member
I am trying to help Hartmut with exactly that but he is not responding.
"You can take a horse to water" comes to mind.
I'm off to ride a Vincent now, a long way.

Speedtwin

VOC Member
Have fun Tracey and don't forget to leave space in the panniers for my black forest gâteau....
If your stuck you can strap it to Chris s tank.

royrobertson

VOC Member
Hi, I spoke to Phillip Woods, David Woods son today and he was astonished at what Tracey Tilley wrote about his Dad. The only bill he would send in the unlikely event that he could not fix a Vincent speedo would be postage. I have forwarded what Tracy wrote to Phillip.
David retired some time back and his son is running the business and is very busy, so there must be a lot of satisfied customers, including me. I've attached a photo of my Maxman speedo which he has just restored at a very reasonable price. He even managed to find a period face.
roy the racer

Attachments

• 100_0118.JPG
    100_0118.JPG
    301.8 KB · Views: 13