Counter Steering: Does Anybody Have An Explanation? - Demystification Required

bmetcalf

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
In your video above, the rider first countersteers to lean the bike over, then normally steers because it is low speed. At all higher speeds, you are countersteering. While out on a ride with plenty of room, push on your right grip and see if you don't go right.

Flylow

VOC Member
I often practice countersteering when I am on pavement with no traffic. I pick a spot/rock that I want to avoid drive towards it and countersteer to swerve around and avoid it. The idea is that it becomes second nature when I really need to avoid something last second.

vibrac

VOC Member
I suppose the only time you think about it is at high speed in a tight left-right situation the bike leans to the left to take the left and then to take the right you start pushing on the right bar the bike 'falls' to the right the front wheel follows over
Its a long time since I read Hailwoods book on motorcycle racing . I suppose with modern drifting and tyres its less used

Peter Holmes

VOC Member
I often practice countersteering when I am on pavement with no traffic. I pick a spot/rock that I want to avoid drive towards it and countersteer to swerve around and avoid it. The idea is that it becomes second nature when I really need to avoid something last second.
I can only assume that "pavement" takes on a different connotation in the US, the police over would be highly unimpressed with such actions.

Jim Bush

VOC Member
Counter steering has nothing to with weight change or re-distribution. It is a simple principle of physics and the laws of gyroscopic action of two wheels in the single plane. I am sure there are some examples from the science labs out there to explain it.

In real riding experience, I recall riding my Laverda Jota through a long set of twisties (with buddies to keep up to), I remember the thing going through my head was push and pull - meaning to help man-handle the over weight and less than nimble bike through the twisties, a lot of effort was put into the handlebars pushing / pulling to use laws of physics to overcome the lazy the tendencies of the bike. A lot of work and mental concentration, but the bike performed remarkably well and kept a handy lead. I also have a MV Brutale that is so responsive to the slightest effort on the bars, you can change line mid corner, the complete opposite end of the scale.

I find the Vincent flat bars, lend themselves very nicely to counter steering, almost intuitively as the arms are in the right position to add a little weight to one hand or the other as required (no extreme effort of pushing and pulling as on the Laverda).

Also note sometimes following some youngster sport bikers that have experienced track days and bringing their skills to the street - you see them hunkered over, throwing the knee out and moving the bum .... all the while I am right on their tail, a lot more upright and countersterring on a larger, heavier, less capable bike. There is a place for track skills, that would be on the track...

fogrider

VOC Member
Jim Bush has answered the original question in his first paragraph, there is more to it though ! Kids don't seem to have gyroscopes as toys anymore, but to play with one demonstrates the gyroscopic precession that makes the bike steer at speed. Eg, a forceful push on the right bar creates a precession force in the front wheel OPPOSITE to that push. The force thus created in the wheel directly effects the forks (via the wheel spindle) thus making the bike roll to the right. The harder and quicker you push (or pull) the bars makes the steering respond more effectively.
But note, the push on the bar is only needed to make the bike change its' line, it will then stay on the new line, there's no need to keep on pushing, unless you need to make more changes to the line you want. The faster you go, the more force required on the bar.
I remember Steve Hislop describing one of his fastest TT's, in the 6 lap senior days, the palms of both his hands were blistered from the force he was having to apply on the bars at those cornering speeds .
It's an essential skill to try out and practice -on a quiet road !

Jez Nemeth

Non-VOC Member
I can only assume that "pavement" takes on a different connotation in the US, the police over would be highly unimpressed with such actions.
believe the term is 'sidewalk' -but open to be stand corrected ;)

-BTW what you doing driving on the pavement anyway?

Jez Nemeth

Non-VOC Member
Clearly affects two wheels -4 wheeled vehicles I would suspect in a limited way -trikes and sidecar units?