E: Engine Cork In the Engine Case?

50BlkShadow

Active Forum User
VOC Member
The cost of replacing your spring linked joined primary chain against the price of a continual joined chain is low in comparison to the price of repairing the damage caused by the chain breaking ,and bursting through the front of your crankcases', or worst still jamming underneath the clutch sprocket and locking every thing up, throwing you down the road. When that happened to my eldest son it put his wife in hospital with a fractured pelvis. O.K. nobody can say when a primary chain will fail, but why start with a week link in the system.

hope you enjoy your Vin as much as I have, and best wishes of the season.
stumpy lord
I was going to wait, but after reading your comment, I agree with replacing it. I haven’t seen one like it and don’t understand why there is a link in the primary chain.

teunvandriel

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
That oil thrower is indeed wrong, thanks for the tip Roy, I posted 2 photos from different dates, one has it right and the other does not, I will check how it sits now. Instead of a cork, I sealed that hole with a somewhat neater nylon prop, but doesn't matter obviously as you don't see anything from it. Some apparently see a link in my primary chain (5 o'clock position), I don't see it, I have been riding with an endless primary Tsubaki for many years, along with the spark plugs the only Japanese parts on my Vin. I also had a new Renold with a link which I recently sold, back in the day when REAL Vincents were ridden some people used to carry one with them in case they had problems on the road, (broken rollers) then to get home they could easily replace the chain on the way. Nowadays, most Vincents are no longer ridden, they have become decoration things in the living room or investment objects and if they have a chain with a link in it, or no chain at all, so what? Incidentally, on the advice of very experienced Vincent riders, I have long been using Harley Davidson primary oil before the primary case. After almost 50000 miles the everything still looks perfect (thanks to this oil?), a fellow Dutch member who recently bought a Rapide asked me why this oil would be better than regular supermarket 20/50 oil, I wouldn't know but I like too follow the advice of people with hundreds of thousands km's of experience with their Vins

1672055220394.jpeg

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Sorry , The spring link I saw was from the first photo from our friend in USA,
I had a spring link in mine many years ago, No trouble ,
I was told it was from a Lorry Timing Chain.
Cheers Bill.

stumpy lord

Non-VOC Member
The cost of replacing your spring linked joined primary chain against the price of a continual joined chain is low in comparison to the price of repairing the damage caused by the chain breaking ,and bursting through the front of your crankcases', or worst still jamming underneath the clutch sprocket and locking every thing up, throwing you down the road. When that happened to my eldest son it put his wife in hospital with a fractured pelvis. O.K. nobody can say when a primary chain will fail, but why start with a week link in the system.

hope you enjoy your Vin as much as I have, and best wishes of the season.
stumpy lord
they where possibly sold as a cheaper version off the standard primary chain in days gone by , when proper chains where hard to come bye..
the rubber coated chain tensioner blades are a good idea when fitting new chains.
cheers norm

clevtrev

VOC Member
Sorry , The spring link I saw was from the first photo from our friend in USA,
I had a spring link in mine many years ago, No trouble ,
I was told it was from a Lorry Timing Chain.
Cheers Bill.
Iwis or Jwis a German chain, I used them but had rivetting links. `Twas indeed a timing chain. Might still have some.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
I remember about 20 / 30 years ago we had a few primary breaks,
They thought it was a bad batch ?,
So I have been afraid of changing mine.