E: Engine Cork In the Engine Case?

royrobertson

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Looking at teunvandriels photo the dynamo sprocket assembly just looks wrong. Its a long time ago since I had an engine with a dynamo and my memory is not as good as it was but surely the oil thrower ring PD28 goes inside the sprocket and the other way round.
roy the racer

50BlkShadow

Active Forum User
VOC Member
Great observation! This is the first time that I have opened the primary and Dynamo cover. After your comment, I just looked in at MO14 and you are correct, I'm missing PD17AS, PD 23, and 198 unless this is some type of mod? Are there any mods that would justify this setup?
Looking at teunvandriels photo the dynamo sprocket assembly just looks wrong. Its a long time ago since I had an engine with a dynamo and my memory is not as good as it was but surely the oil thrower ring PD28 goes inside the sprocket and the other way round.
roy the racer

50BlkShadow

Active Forum User
VOC Member
Oh
This is totally normal, and welcome to Vincent-HRD engineering. I suggest you look at the outer primary cover as this is where an optional left-hand kick starter shaft passes through.
Oh geez, I thought I was past this kind of engineering after fixing my Nortons lol.... should I replace the cork while I'm here or leave it be?

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Now you are getting the idea :) ,
We are a tricky bunch, After all these years anything could have been changed !,
Looks to me like you have an Alton alternator ?, Instead of an old Dynamo,
I have never fitted one , But seen those 2 bolts instead of 198 .

At first I thought you was talking about the thrower Roy said about,
Which should be behind the sprocket, With other stuff !!
I see ET 164 is on another page MO32 !!,
But some people could have left that stuff out because of oil leaking from the back of the Dynamo ?,
The engine should breath from the gap where the Dyn goes into the chain case,
But some of us have had bad oil leak and sealed it with silicon ??,
I have one bike that leaks and another that does not , Strange.

50BlkShadow

Active Forum User
VOC Member
Now you are getting the idea :) ,
We are a tricky bunch, After all these years anything could have been changed !,
Looks to me like you have an Alton alternator ?, Instead of an old Dynamo,
I have never fitted one , But seen those 2 bolts instead of 198 .

At first I thought you was talking about the thrower Roy said about,
Which should be behind the sprocket, With other stuff !!
I see ET 164 is on another page MO32 !!,
But some people could have left that stuff out because of oil leaking from the back of the Dynamo ?,
The engine should breath from the gap where the Dyn goes into the chain case,
But some of us have had bad oil leak and sealed it with silicon ??,
I have one bike that leaks and another that does not , Strange.
Tricky for sure! :) The more I walk through this, the more I am discovering.

It does have an Alton Alternator installed with a external breather drilled through the dynmo cover.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
The old Dynamos were not good ,
So an alternator is good, There are a few types, I have a Mcdougleator from USA, Sadly John died some time ago,
on one bike and a lash up, Of a Mini Car alternator on the other.

Some of us can't stop with our Modifications :) .

Attachments

• IMG_20221119_133536 (2).jpg
    IMG_20221119_133536 (2).jpg
    443.9 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:

Albervin

VOC Member
I would like to request help identifying what I should do with this potentially cork material, covered by a sealant that I found behind the primary chain. It’s the gray spot in the center of the case. Do I remove it? And if he fixed? And well, why is it there? Has anyone seen this?

Suggestions/recommendations please.
View attachment 55005
Why is the crankcase painted red??

stumpy lord

Non-VOC Member
I would like to request help identifying what I should do with this potentially cork material, covered by a sealant that I found behind the primary chain. It’s the gray spot in the center of the case. Do I remove it? And if he fixed? And well, why is it there? Has anyone seen this?

Suggestions/recommendations please.
View attachment 55005
The cost of replacing your spring linked joined primary chain against the price of a continual joined chain is low in comparison to the price of repairing the damage caused by the chain breaking ,and bursting through the front of your crankcases', or worst still jamming underneath the clutch sprocket and locking every thing up, throwing you down the road. When that happened to my eldest son it put his wife in hospital with a fractured pelvis. O.K. nobody can say when a primary chain will fail, but why start with a week link in the system.

hope you enjoy your Vin as much as I have, and best wishes of the season.
stumpy lord