E: Engine Comet Mongrel

davidd

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
You should use an adjuster each side of the gearbox to stop it twisting.

That would be my advice, but I did not do it. I wallowed out the lower transmission bolt holes in the plates for the BAR so that the box could move slightly. I then drilled another hole quite close by and installed a mushroom that was tapped for a 1/4-20 bolt.

Belt Tensioner 001.jpg

The mushroom sticks through and is 1/8" proud. Hole "C" is the lower primary cover mounting hole. I cut a 1/8" strap and drilled a hole for the mushroom and one for the transmission bolt.

Belt Tensioner 002.jpg

I made two more straps, one with the hole punched a little further away and one with the hole punched a little closer. Between the three, you should be able to adjust for any occurrence. The little holes are for wiring.

Belt Tensioner 003.jpg

The mistake I made was having the head of the bolt on this side because you have to pull the bolt out to change the strap. I had a reduced shank for clearance on the other side so I could not swap. I used the so called "mushrooms" because you do not want to use a nut where the chain runs. The chain can damage the thread and nut and you will have to break the bolt to get it off. I thought it better for the bolts in the chain area to have these mushrooms for nuts with no thread poking through. They will always come undone.

100_2656.jpg

I think Tim is correct that you can get away without a tensioner. I found that with my original set up the belt was too tight, so I needed a way to loosen it. This is quick and easy. Once the drive side was held steady, the other side had no issues holding steady, too.

I love the avatar, but all the lads will be emailing you with their requirements.

David

vibrac

VOC Member
I think mine was easier and faster off the shelf E229! We in the UK don't seem to have the Xmas post delays all December anymore even my new Mikuni 32mm came in a couple of days and a change over relay came as soon as I put the mouse down (well not quite). The 2020 Comet is well on its way.

Cyborg

VOC Member
You are fortunate being close to the source. I ordered a few items from VOC spares including a inlet follower spacer ET99, They always ship things out quickly and I enjoy dealing with them, but once orders get into the hands of our postal/customs system, then it's a crap shoot. I ordered a speedo for the B and it arrived at the door within days. The ET 99 and other bits for the Comet were shipped Nov.11 air mail and still no sign of them. I assume they are waiting to be scanned for drugs or things that go bang,... perhaps they went via Jordan, like a previous order. The kicker is... since I had to shave a bit off the follower to get it to line up with the lobe, I'll probably end up making a new ET99.
Are you able to tell me what jets etc were in the 28mm Mikuni you had on there before and what sort of exhaust/AC you were using?

vibrac

VOC Member
I will have a look it was set up by allens (Uk) and all I had to do was go up one size on the pilot
I had a pancke air filter and a VOC spiral exhaust silencer

Cyborg

VOC Member
It took me longer than I care to admit, but I now have a place to create a spark and a drive if I use a mechanical tach. The piece of steel used to adapt the Norton Atlas ignition unit to the ET48 was harder than the hubs of hell. I thought hot rolled steel was relatively easy to machine. Used a new carbide and slow speed, but it still took forever.
Ign&tach drive.jpg

Oldhaven

VOC Member
It worked for me, but I didn't do a tach drive.. Lots of help here on the forum. I t took a few contributing members for me to understand what I needed.

index.php

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
It took me longer than I care to admit, but I now have a place to create a spark and a drive if I use a mechanical tach. The piece of steel used to adapt the Norton Atlas ignition unit to the ET48 was harder than the hubs of hell. I thought hot rolled steel was relatively easy to machine. Used a new carbide and slow speed, but it still took forever.
View attachment 18207
We had this with Ron, The Vin Dist, Should be clockwise from the drive side ?,Have you got bob weights ? Or Is It electric. Cheers Bill.