Comet Conways Clutch Drag After Standing

clevtrev

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
As mentioned in the initial post, I have resorted to strapping the clutch lever in when not using the bike. It may well eventually bugger the clutch springs, but I recon that it will be cheaper and easier to replace them than Burman cogs.
My clutch has the correct lever fulcrum distance, new cable and a NOS clutch arm in the gearbox and is running in the recommended ATF so I can't see how any of that can be a problem. Conways say in their instructions that this may happen and suggest washing the plates in solvent so I'm just curious as to why they would do that. Maybe I should call them...
Can you measure the pitch of your lever pivot to cable ?

clevtrev

VOC Member
I can see there`s a problem with the figures. You`re saying One inch and a sixteenth. Still that is on the small side, you`ll be surprised the difference a bit extra will achieve.

youngjohn

Non-VOC Member
Thanks for the info. One and one sixteenth was the largest fulcrum lever I could find - maybe the club levers are one and one eighth - if so I'll give them a go.
Still not sure how this would solve the plates sticking, with the current lever it's fine if it's been strapped in when left.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Hello John, Are you sure you don't have too much oil in the chaincase, How do you check it, On the wheels or on the rear stand, Cheers Bill.

greg brillus

VOC Member
Does anyone remember if on the Singles, does the basket wobble around a fair bit like the twins do if the hub bush's are worn. If I remember on the Comet's clutch, the basket is supported on a ring of rollers not unlike the one I just did on a 1966 BSA Royal Star 500 twin. I had replaced literally all the hub parts including new shim washers, and the slop in the basket was worse...!!! If the Comets clutch is replaced with the Conway's/ Honda clutch, does this condition still exist......Don't worry, I am leading up to something here......Greg.

nkt267

VOC Member
Does anyone remember if on the Singles, does the basket wobble around a fair bit like the twins do if the hub bush's are worn. If I remember on the Comet's clutch, the basket is supported on a ring of rollers not unlike the one I just did on a 1966 BSA Royal Star 500 twin. I had replaced literally all the hub parts including new shim washers, and the slop in the basket was worse...!!! If the Comets clutch is replaced with the Conway's/ Honda clutch, does this condition still exist......Don't worry, I am leading up to something here......Greg.

I don't remember my Burman clutch wobbling around, at least it didn't when the lever was released. I have not felt the need to look with the Conways clutch, and to be honest I'm not even sure how it comes apart it's been a few years since I worked on the clutch .Just for fun I'll assemble my spare Burman clutch and see.John

mercurycrest

VOC Member

I've got the outer primary cover off my A Comet at present and it doesn't wobble.
Cheers, John

nkt267

VOC Member
I got 65thou at the edge of the chain wheel, that's with only the basket and centre assembled..John