Comet Conways Clutch Drag After Standing

karl johnson

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
i am considering a clutch conversion for my comet , can anyone clarify that it cures the graunch from neutral to first ?
ive been assured that it is down to over engineerd gearbox internals.... also its a drag slowing down approaching the lights and hopefully they will change before i have to stop and just leave her in 1st with the clutch in :D all good fun.

nkt267

VOC Member
If I free the Conways clutch prior to starting the I am not always sure it has gone into first, But it has..John

clevtrev

VOC Member
Might be worth strapping the clutch lever in when left standing. I do with my multi plate on the Prince.
Now that does the springs a lot of good. Every now and again, lift the plates and spray WD40 through them. You might notice a bit of difference.

Last edited by a moderator:

Peter Holmes

VOC Member
I very much doubt that the blame could be laid with the Honda clutch itself. I am sure in its correct environment it would function perfectly, perhaps you should look at other factors, the amount of lift being provided or the fluid that it is running in, or the Burman box itself. Perhaps the shortcomings are unresolvable, but I doubt it.

nkt267

VOC Member
i am considering a clutch conversion for my comet , can anyone clarify that it cures the graunch from neutral to first ?

One thing to remember also with the Burman gearbox, if you have the revs too high you will nearly always get the graunch when getting into 1st.
I changed to the Conways clutch because the basket on the Burman had cracked at every point at the bottom of the slots.
This meant a new basket( available from the spares Co) and new plates as well , the new baskets are the Matchless type . I felt that for the extra cost I would have a more modern clutch..
On my bike the Conways clutch did not fit first time, at a guess I would say the broach for the clutch centre is getting worn. It took a bit of filing to get the splines to fit correctly, but I have had the clutch for about 7 years now and I find it very good..John

Nulli Secundus

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
I changed to the Conways clutch because the basket on the Burman had cracked at every point at the bottom of the slots.
This meant a new basket( available from the spares Co) and new plates as well , the new baskets are the Matchless type . I felt that for the extra cost I would have a more modern clutch..

Does the Comet Burman clutch basket have a reinforcing band around the outside? From my knowledge of Ariels, the 350 models did not have a reinforcing band, but the 500 models did. Presumably the band prevents the basket spreading and cracking at the points you mention. Is the new Matchless basket reinforced and are the designs all different depending upon the make of machine?

youngjohn

Non-VOC Member
As mentioned in the initial post, I have resorted to strapping the clutch lever in when not using the bike. It may well eventually bugger the clutch springs, but I recon that it will be cheaper and easier to replace them than Burman cogs.
My clutch has the correct lever fulcrum distance, new cable and a NOS clutch arm in the gearbox and is running in the recommended ATF so I can't see how any of that can be a problem. Conways say in their instructions that this may happen and suggest washing the plates in solvent so I'm just curious as to why they would do that. Maybe I should call them...