Comet Conways Clutch Drag After Standing

Martyn Goodwin

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
I have a Conways clutch also and I had issues
I very much doubt that the blame could be laid with the Honda clutch itself. I am sure in its correct environment it would function perfectly, perhaps you should look at other factors, the amount of lift being provided or the fluid that it is running in, or the Burman box itself. Perhaps the shortcomings are unresolvable, but I doubt it.
I have a Conway's/Honda clutch in my Comet and was plagued with clutch sticking issues. I finally was told the solution by the technical staff at EBC who make the friction plates. They told me that new fresh ATF would work fine but just after a few heat cycles (around 100 miles of use) it will start to form a gum and that is the cause of the sticking. So their emphatic advise was DO NOT USE ATF! They advised the use of a motorcycle specific transmission oil, intended for use with wet clutches. Since then I have been using MOTUL Transoil 10W-30 and over the last 5,000 miles have not had a sticking issue with the clutch.

Jim Richardson

VOC Member
Since I put ATF in my multiplate , Twin not a Comet, if left for more than a couple of days it will stick and need to be bumped to clear it.
we had a conversation at Edale at the weekend, somebody said that ATF has a tendancy to get sticky, and the volume in the clutch case is small for the amount of heat generated, the oil is going to degenerate quickly.
A light fork oil was suggested, but I will now look out for the Motul.

youngjohn

Non-VOC Member
Bill - there may be too much oil, my level plug hole has been welded up for some reason!

MartynG - As well as the correct level, looks like that could be the problem, I'll try cleaning the plates and changing the ATF for 10w30.

Thanks all.

nkt267

VOC Member
There is another cause of clutch wobble on Comets that can occur on a heavily used one,,ie big sidecar fitted.
I had a gearbox for my Comet which had this problem,,,the mainshaft was bent..50 thou out of true when measured between centres..A 10 ton press did not really straighten it and I had to source a replacement..John

Martyn Goodwin

Non-VOC Member
Bill - there may be too much oil, my level plug hole has been welded up for some reason!

MartynG - As well as the correct level, looks like that could be the problem, I'll try cleaning the plates and changing the ATF for 10w30.

Thanks all.
Remember - not engine oil but motorcycle transmission specific oil, such as MOTUL Transoil

highbury731

VOC Member
Remember - not engine oil but motorcycle transmission specific oil, such as MOTUL Transoil

Has anyone done transmission temperature tests, and evaluated what would make the best gearbox oil for a twin with standard gearbox?

I have run hypoid gear oil in my Norton gearboxes, and don't know if that will agree with or otherwise with a Vincent box