FF: Forks Best Front Damper for Series ‘C’ Twin, Recommendation Please - Petteford Information?

vibrac

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
With the Avo the top link has to be ground back which I don't fancy doing/spoiling
You need to check this in place with a damper I did not need to on either the Comet or the twin but this was the same fork both times on different bikes with different head stems (JE steel & Alloy) so its obviously down to minute differences in the top links the space on mine was about 1/16"

kerry

VOC Member
Kerry
I have only fitted AVO dampers to series C machines with standard geometry and so used the std short damper eye bolt FF57 for series C's. I believe series D's had FF57/1 which is longer and if used with an AVO damper then I don't know if it causes the clearance problem with the top link as the longer eye bolts will allow the forks to drop further with no weight on them.

Please note this is all using standard geometry forks and not the JM modification.
Simon,
On the D's that we fitted Avos we got new FF57/1 and still had to grind the top link, in fact we even machined down the 57/1 to try and avoid this.
I did get in touch with Bob at Spares today and he is coming back to me on a point or two but it seems that I may try Koni's or buy originals from Maughn's which are apparently modified internally with more than a bit of bubble wrap perhaps !
Kerry.

timetraveller

VOC Member
I am the chap who has supplied about 270 modified steering heads and fitted one to my own bike. On my bike, a 'C', it was necessary to remove some material from below and behind the upper link. On some bikes it is required and others it is not. I have never been able to find out why but it is necessary to use the long lower eyebolts with the AVO damper. I can well understand that for those who want the bikes to look original then the use of modified old Vincent dampers has its attractions. However the AVO is a modern adjustable damper and superior in performance to any of the old dampers. I have no connection with AVO but would point out that is was a Vincent owner, Hadrouk, who worked with AVO to develop the dampers for Vincents.

Martin Conachey

Forum User
VOC Member
The Koni s i fitted are new IKONS. Purchased from Performance Parts in Uk
I have been a Koni fan for 45years, I fitted them to my T3 Guzzi in 1975. 80,000 miles later still work perfectly
also fitted them to my 2016 Bonneville, Vast improvement over standard

vibrac

VOC Member
Performance Parts UK not that I want a IKON but I took a look
Don't you just hate web sites that wont show you anything till you enter "make,year,model" and you know damm well you bike is not on the list even with classic selected. But they sell the part you want!