FF: Forks Best Front Damper for Series ‘C’ Twin, Recommendation Please - Petteford Information?

kerry

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Could anyone recommend which fits ok, works well and looks about right please, seems to be several options,

Reconditioned original from Maughan, AVO, new similar look to original one from spares company who I like to support. etc.

Will only be riding solo, but would point out this nice bike has the rear longer Pettiford rear springs fitted with a Koni Classic damper ?

The front currently has an unidentified type plain black and rounded at the bottom and does not work too well.

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:

Martin Conachey

Forum User
VOC Member
I have been on this Suspension journey for a number of years. Tried AVO was not happy with them. Tried rebuilt originals. They leaked. Then put IKONS on. Back is fine. Front a little stiff , but overall happy with them. The bike handles a dream on them
Now what can I worry about next

stumpy lord

Non-VOC Member
I have been on this Suspension journey for a number of years. Tried AVO was not happy with them. Tried rebuilt originals. They leaked. Then put IKONS on. Back is fine. Front a little stiff , but overall happy with them. The bike handles a dream on them
Now what can I worry about next
I have always found Konis to be O.K., especially ones that have been run in on the rear off an outfit, if you are interested I have a pair like that going spare.
stumpy lord

Chris Launders

VOC Member
Whilst doing some of the suspension testing for the modified steering stem I tried several dampers back to back over a fixed route, the worst by far was Koni's (I tried 3 different ones ranging from new to well abused), they were rigid over the small stuff, like you get when a tar/gravel surface breaking up, they needed something substantial before they would move.

Actually it was my own that led me to get one of the first stems, it would nearly shake me to pieces on some roads, and I had stripped and gone over the front end plus fitted D springs when I got the bike as it was so bad but it made little difference.

The next pair which were pretty good were the Standard and Armstrong units, again I tried 3 different Standard dampers borrowed from others to make sure it was fair.

The best was the Thornton's unit with the AVO close behind, however Thornton's had just gone out of production then.

This was prior to installing the needle rollers so other than the different geometry it was standard. Amazingly they all had virtually the same performance (indicated travel and not bottoming out) doing emergency stops and hitting the worst speed humps.

kerry

VOC Member
Appreciate your nice reply and info, but Tim Kinghams excellent book, 'The Black Shadow' said Koni stopped production in the year 2000. so the only choice seems Avo or the original which is 70 year old technology, or maybe Ikon but these are not listed now by the spares company
I have used Avo coil over which are very good but not sure about their front ones although you kindly suggest they are probably the best now available ?

kerry

VOC Member
I don't necessarily want the original just a reasonable ride, I read the link though which was very interesting, thanks for that.
Not sure yet the best way forward, one says Koni are bad others say good and the book BS said Koni stopped making them in year 2000 ?.
With the Avo the top link has to be ground back which I don't fancy doing/spoiling
So now I am more confused but appreciate the help and comments !