ET: Engine (Twin) Any Drawbacks To Crankcase Polishing Internally?

Whiteshadow15

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
I know some say it’s a fine idea to help with oil return although not necessary.

I have some times on my hands with a set of chopped cases but was curious if there is anything to be concerned with.

passenger0_0

Non-VOC Member
I would have thought the main bearing stiffening webs would cause greater aerodynamic drag and resistance to oil return than the crankcase casting surface finish. Best not to remove these though. Maybe more productive to put your spare time into external cosmetic polishing and just tell everyone it's the same on the inside.

Whiteshadow15

Non-VOC Member
Yeah I figured I would just clean up the webbing but leave it. I have time so I think I might knock it outside for fun. I’ve wrapped up the outside of the cases, it’s a multiple year project so time is not an issue at the moment.

highbury731

VOC Member
I have seen car engines, particularly for racing, with the crank case interior painted with a special brown paint. Allegedly it aids oil drainage. I have no idea what the paint is, or if it works as described

chankly bore

Non-VOC Member
The idea that internal polishing will aid oil return is a Furphy (look it up), since a standard pump only has a stroke of 1/4" and runs at 1/15th of crank speed. Remember, this was good enough for Tony Rose! Even a double start pump is only twice as fast. That, surely, is what limits oil return; or have I got something wrong again? I believe the MiTy Garage Rapide had that internal brown coating. I reckon you're better off spending your time riding the trinket while you still can.

greg brillus

VOC Member
More for stress relief..........oil run off would be a near waste of time, the windage in the lower cases is a problem for these engines that no one ever considers........well if your into gaining more horse power that is.

Whiteshadow15

Non-VOC Member
9F3611D4-5ECE-41DB-B173-5427C384912D.jpeg

I’d rather not mention how many hours that’s been. Still a bit to go.

Chris Launders

VOC Member
To my mind it should result in a cleaner running engine, there's nowhere for any bits of carbon etc to stick, and it'll be easier to clean any debris out if it goes bang.