F: Frame 600 cc Greg Brillus Norvin

davidd

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
MEK is used in the fiber glassing process, also. In the US "Klean Strip" sells quarts and gallons.

David

Cyborg

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
MEK is used in the fiber glassing process, also. In the US "Klean Strip" sells quarts and gallons.

David
Thanks, I'll have a look for that when I'm across the 49'th. I checked at the local Auto parts stores and none of the carb cleaner contained MEK anymore. They could still order in straight MEK, but only in large quantities. As Peter mentioned, it is considered nasty stuff. When using it properly and preferably outside, personally I don't think it's any worse than some of the other nasty things in containers around the shop. Respirator and gloves so it doesn't absorb through you skin. You can't eliminate your intake of MEK completely unless you stop eating cheese.
Paint stripper (especially the industrial aircraft stuff) will remove the varnish etc and I use it for cleaning cases, heads etc, but MEK is far better for carburetors especially once you get into CV because of all the minute passageways and jets etc.
The primer for PVC (MEK acetone) comes in a tin with an applicator brush and I keep a small one around to do the final cleaning of fasteners that require thread locker. I find it makes a big difference.

Also used it for saving a vintage model aircraft engine that had gummed up from decades of sitting. Usually if you try and unscrew the cylinder it will break the rod before the piston turns in the bore. Just remove any plastic bits, submerge the engine and let it sit. The MEK will slowly creep in there and loosen things up.

Last edited: