F: Frame 600 cc Greg Brillus Norvin

davidd

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
The second gear ratio was changed in the Commandos in 1974. If you have an early box there is a bigger jump.
Commando 2nd Gear Change.PNG

David

Cyborg

VOC Member
Beautifully done Greg. Never thought about a billit cover. Making a cover is coming to the top of the list, but going to "try" stainless. Only thing is, the stuff I have is harder than the hubs of hell to start with and won't get better. I admire your pipe bending skills. I've been given it a try and discovered there is quite a learning curve. Using an oxy propane setup that gets pretty loud when you go for throttle up. Neighbors start peeking out their windows with concerned looks.
I do wonder what the invoice looks like when you are done one of those. They seem to look simple on the surface, but lordy they eat up the hours.

greg brillus

VOC Member
Ron, the engine had a 38 mm Mikuni when we got it...........However, when I got close to running the engine it became apparent that the left over fuel in it had gummed up all the contents of the float bowl, even the floats had stuck hard on the two slider pins that they mount on. We decided it would be easier and quicker to simply buy a new one............with that I ordered the same carb but a 36 mm instead, and these suit like a Yamaha TT / SR 500 single four stroke engine. I figured that the set up and jetting would have to be close for the 600 Comet so I simply installed it straight out of the box, set up the mixture and idle speed, and that's been about it. i rode it several times and around the race track at our rally last month and it seemed fine, the owner is very familiar to old bikes and has not reported any issues, easy to start hot or cold, no flat spots of rough running so far............Only time will tell I guess.......... I just saw the next post, sorry I didn't make the exhaust pipe, that and the muffler were done by Noel rogers, the same fellow who did the exhaust for me on the racer...........Apparently when he was a bit younger, he was the one who made the pipes on the Britten's................Back when he lived in his home town of Kiwi land. I think it took me around 240 Hours to build this bike, not including the engine rebuild......... It is a very special bike to the owner and his family.

Oldhaven

VOC Member
Thanks, I appreciate your reply and the good report, since I chose a 36 Mikuni for my 600 comet special and was worried it might be too big.

Cyborg

VOC Member
If you are looking for something to quickly remove that varnish/gum etc in the carb, then MEK is worth a try. Methyl Ethyl Keytone. Not sure how easy it is to come by over there. Here you can still buy it by the jug, but not cheap and I've only been able to find it in larger quantities. Normally what I do is go to the hardware store and read the labels on PVC pipe cleaner primer. Some, but not all is a mixture of MEK and acetone and you can buy a tin that contains enough to do a Mikuni etc. It stinks and isn't something you want to splash around in, but I haven't found anything better for dissolving that varnish.

greg brillus

VOC Member
I have found you almost need to mechanically remove it ..........Unless it is a carb that is special or valuable, I generally don't spend too much time on them, even new Amal's I buy directly from Burlen's at trade price, I know it sounds lazy, but I have limited time, although I don't usually give in without trying my damnedest first.................

Peter Holmes

VOC Member
Methyl Ethyl Keytone was readily available in the lithographic printing trade in the sixties, it was used to clean and swell the rubber transfer printing blanket, especially when the blanket had been dented by a paper foul up, creasing etc. then I believe it went out of favour due to health concerns, one being it was regarded as a carcinogenic substance.

BigEd

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Methyl Ethyl Keytone was readily available in the lithographic printing trade in the sixties, it was used to clean and swell the rubber transfer printing blanket, especially when the blanket had been dented by a paper foul up, creasing etc. then I believe it went out of favour due to health concerns, one being it was regarded as a carcinogenic substance.
I bought some recently in the UK.
From Amazon: MEK from Amazon or post free on eBay: MEK on eBay