Misc: Charging Systems Wiring Diagram Anyone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SteveO

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Hi all. My 1951 Rapide is fitted with an Alton alternator (two wire) and a solid state Rectifier/Regulator (two yellow wires, one red, one black). It also has a Grosset starter, currently (sorry!) not working as the gears have stripped again (!). Does anyone have a sample wiring diagram for this set up? I think I am going to have to rewire the bike, as the wiring seems a mess. As far as I can tell, it is negative earth. It doesn't appear to be charging at the moment. I thought the ammeter was busted, as it never seemed to move, so changed it and it's just the same, except it shows a slight discharge if the brake light is operated - which it shouldn't, as the horn and brake light shouldn't go through the ammeter. If I operate the headlight (LED) I get no discharge, which is plainly wrong. Naturally the standard wiring diagram in the book is useless. The battery is OK and takes a trickle charge. I've been lazy as I'm still on a magneto for ignition, so am running the lights as total loss. Oh yes, forgot to mention, it's 12V of course and no, I haven't opened up the Dynamo cover to check the drive gear yet, but I will.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.