Misc: Charging Systems Vincent earth tabs -main harness and battery cable

craig

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I am trying understand the large hole earth tabs on Vincent wires to attach to the UFM at a 1/4" BSF tapped hole.
What is the missing information on this install?

The tab hole is bigger than 3/8!!!
Appears to have locking bend tabs!!

WireHarnessEarthTabs1.jpg

craig

VOC Member
Here are a couple of old earth tabs in my inventory.
The lock tabs never appear to be used and I have viewed dozens,

20210210_EarthTabs3.jpg

Last edited:

craig

VOC Member
The battery end of the wire harness and the the ground cable have a nice fitting tab shown above in the drawing, and they fit the EXIDE 3-EK5TL battery of the period.

The confusion on my part is the "earth" tabs that fasten to the UFM 1/4"BSF screw.

Here are the battery tabs, which make sense

20210210_BattTabs22.jpg

Last edited:

craig

VOC Member
The only place these could have logically fastened would be under a #198 nut on the head.
Is this fastening place, I am suggesting the head, a carry over from A series?

Maybe under the #198s on rear mount FT3?

Last edited:

Simon Dinsdale

VOC Machine Registrar
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
The wiring harness was made by Miller and came out of the delivery box with the harness already attached to the headlight etc and so those earth tabs were probably a Miller item.

craig

VOC Member
It appears to me that the Vincent elaborate shaped ground tabs with a 3/8"+ hole and two tabs was designed to fit the double nut location on the rear of the UFM..............right next to the ultimate location of a drilled tapped 1/4" hole.

Why two tabs? One tab would not lock against one nut, two are required , one tab against each nut..
I am sure this double tab proved to be a pain in the ass, and so the hole next to this UFM stud was provided and works well.

GroundTab2.jpg

Alyson

VOC Member
It appears to me that the Vincent elaborate shaped ground tabs with a 3/8"+ hole and two tabs was designed to fit the double nut location on the rear of the UFM..............right next to the ultimate location of a drilled tapped 1/4" hole.

Why two tabs? One tab would not lock against one nut, two are required , one tab against each nut..
I am sure this double tab proved to be a pain in the ass, and so the hole next to this UFM stud was provided and works well.

View attachment 40423
Me thinks the idea here is that if one of the tab bumps lines up with the point of the nut, the other bump then should line up with the flat. In reality, a squared off end would work too, just fold over one corner or the butt end entirely. But these do look the fancy and I'm happy with them. Just my 2cents on this Happy Sunday. I'm getting another coffee now..... Alyson

TouringGodet

VOC Member
VOC Forum Administrator
VOC Forum Moderator
Ask Bob Chantland if he documented the tab mounting with a photo, from his extremely original late Series C Shadow.